Options

Wireshark Certifield Network Analyst

I'm seeing Wireshark show up on more and more job postings these days (security and networking). My experience with it is rather limited so I'll most likely be teaching myself the material to give me a crash course. Since I'll be investing the time in studying/learning the program I figured the cert might be worth a shot. I was wondering if anyone has gone through the material or even sat for the exam? If so, what were your experiences? Positive or negative?
:study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA

Comments

• Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Here's my thread from 2010:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/58641-wireshark-certified-network-analyst-wcna.html

I'm up for renewal this year and I might sit the exam again just to keep the cert status, but that said, the cert isn't highly recognized while knowing how to use it is.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    docrice wrote: »
    Here's my thread from 2010:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/58641-wireshark-certified-network-analyst-wcna.html

I'm up for renewal this year and I might sit the exam again just to keep the cert status, but that said, the cert isn't highly recognized while knowing how to use it is.

Awesome, exactly what I was looking for, thank you! I definitely agree that the "WCNA" letters on my resume probably wont really matter for the forseeable future but the skills and knowledge gained from studying the cert is really what I'm after. I'm definitely adding this to my list of certification goals. Also, great review!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

• Options
    jcadarshjcadarsh Banned Posts: 32 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you doing the certification . If so I would be interested in a study group.
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    A study group is a great idea! I'm currently pushing for my CCNA and will be sitting for the exam on May 22. I'd definitely consider seriously studying for this exam after that, send me a PM and we can coordinate something.

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    About a year ago, I read the exam blueprint and watched the associated videos. This was my take--

A. The first six sections seem geared towards general usage and have wide applicability.

B. The remaining twenty-five sections are geared toward learning specific protocols.

My question to you, is whether the protocols listed in B, are the most important to you? I know, personally, I would gain more from studying healthy IS-IS and BGP packet flows than from studying E-mail and Web flows. That's because my career focus is on the devices that make the network, not on the devices that use the network.