Western Governors University BS-IT Security Track

2»

Comments

• TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Wow one year. Did you do this full time or were you working full time?

After finding this site when I was doing my Security+, I kept seeing a bunch of people doing WG. After looking into it, it seems like I might want to follow in the footsteps of others! I plan on trying to do some certs ahead of time (if they don't keep adding more!). I would be starting fresh but with tons of work experience and hopefully some certs to transfer. I assume that if you have certifications then certain classes you essentially "tested-out" of them and they didn't make you still take a course or do any additional work?

Any feedback on the course material and complexity for the General education portion? I have no doubt I can do the IT portion. Seems like there are also "Tasks" that need to be completed for certain courses. There also is a final "Capstone", wonder if I can complete that in advance also.

Thanks!
    Bundiman wrote: »
    OK so I am a little behind on keep up on this thread. I finished the program today. Took just over a year but its been well worth it. Since I am already in the study mode I think I am going to push on for the MSISA.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There also is a final "Capstone", wonder if I can complete that in advance also.

Thanks!

You can't do a capstone ahead of time. It isn't the final paper for your general ed, its the final paper for your specialization. Meaning if you are a IT:Security major then your paper is all about that specifically, following a certain format, it should be close to the last thing you do at the school.
  • BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    The Capstone is finished in you last term. It doesn't have to be the last class you take but again it does have to be in the last term. As for my situation, I have a wife, three kids and I have a full time job as a Sr. Network Engineer. My 17 years of experiance in IT made this a lot easier for me. Most of the technical classes were completed in a week at most two weeks. The general education classes took anywhere from one to five weeks depending on my interest in them. The Science and Math classes have changed since I took them over the summer so I cant really give any incite on those.

I think some where in this thread I explained how I approached this degree. I treated it like a game. in my case World of Warcraft and every class I completed gained me one level. Studying replaced gaming and all the time I was using for that went into school. Thinking like that made it really easy to make it happen. Looking back its hard to believe a year has passed already.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • dopedsmurfdopedsmurf Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am beginning my Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis starting May 1st. I am meeting with my mentor on 4/28 to schedule classes and all that. Here is what I received in transfer credit:

(Completed 39 CU Term 1): TBP1 TCP1 CJC1 BVC1 C278 UBC1 UBT1 CDC1 CDP1 IWC1 IWT1 CTV1 DJV1 AGC1

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which courses I should start out with? If so, why do you recommend I start with those? Alternatively, are there any courses I should be sure to initially avoid?

Thanks in advance for any insight you folks can provide.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dopedsmurf wrote: »
    I am beginning my Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis starting May 1st. I am meeting with my mentor on 4/28 to schedule classes and all that. Here is what I received in transfer credit:

(Completed 39 CU Term 1): TBP1 TCP1 CJC1 BVC1 C278 UBC1 UBT1 CDC1 CDP1 IWC1 IWT1 CTV1 DJV1 AGC1

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which courses I should start out with? If so, why do you recommend I start with those? Alternatively, are there any courses I should be sure to initially avoid?

Thanks in advance for any insight you folks can provide.

Why didn't they give you credit for CRV1? That one culminates in the Network+, which you have. Have you spoken to your mentor about that one yet?
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • dopedsmurfdopedsmurf Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didnt receive credit because I took the exam 6 years ago and the maximum period of time is 5 years for certifications and IT courses. I filed an appeal, and inquired about a waiver. Apparently, there is no such thing icon_sad.gif

I am considering knocking that out first because it should be fairly straightforward, but I am considering all options at the moment.
  • BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    I tried to tried to have one general education and one technical class in progress at all times. That way it broke up things for me and I didn't have all technical or general ed classes left for the end. As for CRV1 I would wait to take that. The voucher is over 250 and WGU will give it to you once you are enrolled. If this was a regular university I would say yes but waiting isn't going to add another class that drags out 8-16 weeks. Make sure its in your first 12 CUs and it will help boost your confidence about how quickly you are knocking out the classes.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    I didnt receive credit because I took the exam 6 years ago and the maximum period of time is 5 years for certifications and IT courses. I filed an appeal, and inquired about a waiver. Apparently, there is no such thing icon_sad.gif

I am considering knocking that out first because it should be fairly straightforward, but I am considering all options at the moment.

By enrolling in CE and taking Security+ before enrolling i was able to get credit for all three. It really uped my starting crecits. icon_smile.gif