I am now a Network Engineer! :)

FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
As many of you probably know I've been working as a desktop engineer since graduating college in May of last year. Since then I have passed my Network+ and recently my CCNA. I managed to land a gig at a pretty large company to work as a network engineer recently. They were very impressed with my studies and home lab experience so they were willing to give me a shot. I am super excited about this position because everything at this company is on such a larger scale than what I am used too. For example, when I got a tour of their data center they had 2x Nexus 7010's on pallets just waiting to be opened.
I feel like I am going to learn a ton in this new position, its almost too good to be true. They are really going to help me with my CCNP studies as well by letting me setup a lab at work. I am really excited to have been given this opportunity at such a young age still! Anyone that says the certifications aren't worth it is CRAZY!!

I am however going to miss my current employer icon_sad.gif

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like a great gig.
    Congrats
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You did good. Congratulations. How did you land this gig if you dont mind me asking?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oddly enough, the employer contacted me...talk about being lucky.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    sounds pretty awesome, congrats
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! I'm hoping to make the same kind of move this year :)
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the new position!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Congrats! Please keep us posted to how the job goes. Thanks, and good luck with the new company.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the new job!! icon_thumright.gif

Certifications pay off indeed every job I have moved up to has included more pay, responsibilities, and new skills to learn after each set I have passed
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Amazing! Sounds like I'm gonna have to move to Philly to find a position like this!

Sounds like you skipped over the NOC position, which seems like most of the members here go into from Help Desk.
    Glad to hear that, I don't want to work the phones anymore.

Did you get any calls for NOC positions? Or was it only for this network engineer once you got your CCNA?
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Congratulations!
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations. Sounds like an ideal fit.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Congratulations
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 252 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    FloOz wrote: »
    Oddly enough, the employer contacted me...talk about being lucky.

Definitely not luck, you earned it. Nice work!
    Honestly I don't think their are many NOCs in my area. I work in desktop services so I did luckily get thrown into a good amount of network tasks, which definitely helped my resume out. Upon passing my CCNA I applied to a ton of jobs and talked to a lot of recruiters. No bites though. Then one day I got an email from my new employer saying they found my resume on monster. Had to go through 5 interviews until I got the offer from them ha
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    FloOz wrote:
    I am really excited to have been given this opportunity at such a young age still!

How old are you, by chance?
  • PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    FloOz wrote: »
    Honestly I don't think their are many NOCs in my area. I work in desktop services so I did luckily get thrown into a good amount of network tasks, which definitely helped my resume out. Upon passing my CCNA I applied to a ton of jobs and talked to a lot of recruiters. No bites though. Then one day I got an email from my new employer saying they found my resume on monster. Had to go through 5 interviews until I got the offer from them ha

Nice job. 5 interviews suck but clearly your personality got through it.

You remind me of me except replace networking with boring management businessy stuff ;)
    I just turned 23 about two weeks ago
    Thanks everyone! And yes I will give an update when I start
  • _Marauder_Marauder Member Posts: 132 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    Congratulations from a fellow "Philadelphian"!

There are many opportunities in this area as long as you look hard enough.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□