Started my new job, and hope for those who are still looking...

So I started my new job today. After 7 years of working for the DoD in various IT roles, I decided it was time for a change and moved to the private sector. Boy was that ever the best decision I could have made!

The new job is with one of the top 5 banks in the country, and I'm on the retail services router team as an Infrastructure Engineer. It's a positive step up from my previous position as a Network Administrator. After my first day on the job, I can officially say that I definitely made the right choice, and that if my first impressions are correct, it will be a fantastic company to work for.

I wanted to offer a little hope to those guys who are looking for jobs, but who are frustrated by the seemingly outlandish requirements that are constantly being advertised for positions.

Don't give up.

I was contacted out of the blue by my new company after the found my resume on CareerBuilder.com. This came as a huge surprise for me, because it was a direct hire position and it wasn't through a third party recruiter. Between the position description and the interview that I had, I really got the impression that they wanted someone who had a lot more experience with routing and VoIP, the former of which I only had experience with through labbing and CCNA studies, and the latter of which I had no experience at all.

I was very straight forward and honest with them during my interview about my shortcomings, and they seemed to be fine with that. Fast forward a month and not only have I started with them as a new hire, but they seem super excited to have me on-board, and are eager to train me and fill in my knowledge gaps. It's a fantastic opportunity and I'm incredibly grateful that they saw fit to give me a chance. I knew that I could perform and learn whatever was necessary, but they didn't know that. They took a leap of faith and hired me, and I'm surely not going to let them down!

I'll update everyone after a few weeks, but suffice it to say I'm going to busy until then! Good hunting all!

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Another fine example of perseverance paying off. Well done mate! Now make sure you absolutely grab this opportunity with both hands.

Keep at it guys and good things will come.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well done!!!

I'm happy to hear that from TE member, hard work and perseverance always pay off.
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new job! I really need to update my resume on careerbuilder......
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Bill3rdshiftBill3rdshift Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new position and What a Motivational Post. Reading this gives me hope, once I decide to leave my company and take a job with a established organization. Definitely put a smile on my face. Sounds like you are a hard worker... I'm sure you will make them happy.

FWIW you will probably find that VoIP is fun and rewarding! At least IMO.
    Reading: Incident Response & Disaster Recovery, Server 2008r2 Administration, IT Security Interviews Exposed
    Telecom Info Page: http://telecom.tbi.net
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats, sounds great.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the new job.
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the gig and continued success!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats and thanks for sharing your story.
  • SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Great job - see, it's not always about what they have posted for "requirements"! Good luck with your future success. :)
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    congrats, great story...

so it was about a month from first contact to actual job offer?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    Congrats! I know that feeling knowing that your moving up in your career. Great job!