Options

Dakota State

dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
I know that a lot of people on TE are biased towards WGU as a place to continue your education but has anyone here had any experience with Dakota State? I'm looking at their Information Assurance and Computer Security, M.S.I.A. and thinking about just applying to do the Information Assurance - Ethical Hacking Certificate initially and moving to the Masters afterwards.

Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Options
    I sent in my application for the graduate certificate today and will use that to see if I want to pursue the Master's afterwards. I found the syllabus of a few of the classes and the material seems to be what I am wanting to learn.

I also discovered that the school participates in CCDC and they just recently won the regional competition. That kind of lets me know the computer security program is pretty decent.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have looked at various online MSIA's but I have never come across DSU. I took some time to look at their MSIA courses and it looks solid.
  • Options
    jason_miller13jason_miller13 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been looking into them also. It helps that they are only one of four schools with the new NSA designation "CAE-CO"

Dakota State named a Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Operations by the NSA
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    This looks pretty cool
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been looking into them also, as they are one of only a few institutions that offer an online Doctorate in Information Technology.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    I looked into Dakota State for an MSIA degree. Their program looked very enticing, and came a very, very close second to Capitol College, which I am currently attending.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Could you transfer from WGU into this program?
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I would expect that you can't transfer from WGU to anywhere because of their nonstandardized class structure.

I have looked into DSU and it has even made it to my short list, however, I am hesitant because of that online PhD. the program looks pretty good though.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was reading IT Sec book by an author why attended DSU for their D.Sc.IS program. It's one of the few colleges I know of in the US that offers a doctorate's program in IS. I was very intrigued.
  • Options
    Just found out today that I have been accepted to start the Ethical Hacking Graduate Certificate program in the Fall. Looking forward to it.....
  • Options
    datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    I was reading IT Sec book by an author why attended DSU for their D.Sc.IS program. It's one of the few colleges I know of in the US that offers a doctorate's program in IS. I was very intrigued.
    I believe that we read the same book: The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy by Patrick Engebretson. He earned his Doctorate at Dakota State, and it was while reading his book that I first became aware of their DSc. program.
  • Options
    ahardinjrahardinjr Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dakota State's program is supposed to be an excellent and very rigorous program for both their MSIA and DSc; in fact their DSc program is highly competitive.

If you have any "faint" desire to potentially pursue a doctorate in the future, I'd highly advise Dakota State University's program because you can transfer over from the MSIA to DSc program and waive the MSIA requirements.

Another reason to consider DSU over WGU is name recognition. An employer will see DSU as a B&M state university whereas many people don't know what WGU is and if they do, they know it is online only. DSU's program, I believe is considered a hybrid program - once accepted into it you can either take classes online or on-campus. So it wouldn't be considered a true distance-based online program since they have students who are enrolled in the program on-campus 100% of the time for both the MSIA and DSc program - and you have the option to attended classes in-person too.
    WGU MS:IT - Network Management
    MBA - Information Assurance Mgmt
  • Options
    Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm surprised Dakota State isn't considered by more users on these forums. It has a more standard structure and grading system, which should make it easier for any work reimbursement program. Also it seems reasonably priced. With WGU's removal of some of the certifications from their MSISA (dropped CCNA to CCENT, removed GIAC ISO27001 cert), WGU doesn't get you nearly the level of certs on your resume as it used to. I think I'll apply to Dakota State's masters program, although I'm worried about prereqs. I have experience and a few certs (with more on the way), but if I have to take four additional classes just to start the program it would be enough to keep me out of it I think (taking one class a semester will take me three years to complete already, 4 if I need prereqs). Has anyone here used past certifications and employment experience to cover prerequisites at DSU?