Options

OSCP - How many months did it take?

010101010101 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm curious for those who've passed the Offensive Security OSCP certification, how many months did you spend studying for it?
I know there's a million variables in terms of a-priori knowledge of hacking, but still curious if there's a rough average that it takes.

I just finished my CISSP which took me around 13 months. I'm hoping the OSCP won't take that long.....

Comments

• Options
    BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm also interested in this. Pleas fellow OSCP's share with us how log did it take.
  • Options
    jasong318jasong318 Member Posts: 102
    I took the 60 day option and ended up extending for another 15 days. I really didn't due any prep before, but spent about 3 weeks before I took the exam (the first time) going against vulnerable VM's. In between the first and second exam attempt was about two weeks, I spent that time working on buffer overflows.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    A coworker signed up for 1 month and didn't complete it. He could have completed if he did the 60 day....

Other than that, he said that you need to understand bash, python, and some assembler would help.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you are new to pentesting, I would get 90 days. I know 15+ people who have taken it, the more lab days you can get, the better.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    How extensive is the python? I'm fairly versed on bash and have been looking into python but am still running through tutorials.
  • Options
    If you can read and understand Python, you should be fine...because you'll need to be able to read an exploit and modify it to fit the system you are going after. Knowing how to write basic python scripts will help automate a lot of recon work, which in turn will save you a bunch of time!
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Knowing how to write basic python scripts will help automate a lot of recon work, which in turn will save you a bunch of time!

Thanks for the tip! Going to take a python class before jumping into OSCP.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    In my opinion, modifying the perl and python scripts are pretty straight forward. Its compiling the exploits written in C that get kinda messy. The question of how long it takes really depends on how much time you have to dedicate. With a lot of other things going on...I'm truckin through it pretty slow. I did the 90 days option and I already know I'm going to have to extend. Fortunately, the lab fees are reasonable (and I work on a miserably low enlisted military salary).
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the_hutch wrote: »
    In my opinion, modifying the perl and python scripts are pretty straight forward. Its compiling the exploits written in C that get kinda messy. The question of how long it takes really depends on how much time you have to dedicate.

This is true, compiling in C and make it work is the most difficult part for this training.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    r0ckm4nr0ckm4n Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    010101 wrote: »
    I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm curious for those who've passed the Offensive Security OSCP certification, how many months did you spend studying for it?
    I know there's a million variables in terms of a-priori knowledge of hacking, but still curious if there's a rough average that it takes.

I just finished my CISSP which took me around 13 months. I'm hoping the OSCP won't take that long.....

It's a great course and a tough exam. I studied for the CISSP for 3 months, but the OSCP has taken longer. I have been working on it seriously for 6 months. Prior to that I wasn't getting enough time in on the course.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    This kinda makes me wonder how much time OSCE takes :D
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's a dream of mine to take PWB one day but it's such a major time commitment, one that I can't easily make anymore due to a demanding work schedule. I envy the rest of you who are going through it.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    docrice wrote: »
    It's a dream of mine to take PWB one day but it's such a major time commitment, one that I can't easily make anymore due to a demanding work schedule. I envy the rest of you who are going through it.

It took me two to three years to finally take PWB, it is definitely worth it.
  • Options
    Just scheduled my exam for June 22nd!!! Two weeks from now :D
  • Options
    Just scheduled my exam for June 22nd!!! Two weeks from now :D

Good luck! I am taking it that same day.
  • Options
    Good luck to the both of you!
  • Options
    Good luck to the both of you!

Thanks!
  • Options
    ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    Hey, wait a second...you two are not taking it together, are you? ;)

Just kidding, good luck to both of you.
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Best of luck to the both of you - we'll be waiting to hear your non-NDA violating thoughts afterwards!
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    Good luck, have a blast!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Haha...to be honest, I'm considering this a trial run-through. While I intend to have my documentation ready (in case I do pass), I really just want to lift the veil over all of the mystery surrounding this test. I want to experience it for myself. Then I'll probably take another month or so to prepare (knowing better what I'm preparing for). Then I'll take it again. Good luck r0ckm4n
  • Options
    Thanks, guys! This has been a great course, but I am ready to pass the exam.

Justin, I think you will do well on the exam.
  • Options
    Just popped my first box outside the public servers. Working my way through the IT dept now. Pivoting is seriously a pain in the ass. Everything takes like 10x as long :-/... From what I've heard, no pivoting on the exam, but I guess I'll see.
  • Options
    Haha...to be honest, I'm considering this a trial run-through. While I intend to have my documentation ready (in case I do pass), I really just want to lift the veil over all of the mystery surrounding this test. I want to experience it for myself. Then I'll probably take another month or so to prepare (knowing better what I'm preparing for). Then I'll take it again. Good luck r0ckm4n

Not a bad idea at all, IMO. I've been thinking of doing that just so that I can see what the exams is like. Also, I'm quite curios to see how well I can do without preparing, with just the skills I have now. The thing is that the plan is to complete my Cisco certs(which is a lot) and get into the OSCP after that.
  • Options
    HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to r0ckm4n for clearing the OSCP challenge this weekend!!! Good job man...I know you've put a lot of time into this thing, so very much deserved icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Killj0yKillj0y Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats r0ckm4n!! You have definitely put a lot of time and effort into the course. Congrats again! What is next?
    Certifications: GPEN, SMFE, CISSP, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, Security+, CEHv6, MCSE+Sec:2003
  • Options
    HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to r0ckm4n for clearing the OSCP challenge this weekend!!! Good job man...I know you've put a lot of time into this thing, so very much deserved icon_thumright.gif

Thanks, Justin! It was a very tough and very educational experience. It felt great to pass and this is my most coveted cert.

Now it's your turn! I look forward to your good news.
  • Options
    Killj0y wrote: »
    Congrats r0ckm4n!! You have definitely put a lot of time and effort into the course. Congrats again! What is next?

Thanks, Killj0y! The old saying goes "you get out of something what you put into it". I got a lot more. A very great experience and I highly recommend this course. The lack of help you get from Offsec definitely forces you to learn.

I purchased eLearnSecurity's Web App Pen Testing course recently since it was on sale during their course launch program, I will start on that as well as the SecurityTube Python Scripting Expert course. I would like to take the OSCE course, but I have some work to do to be at the level to start that course. Maybe I will be ready sometime next year. I am very strongly considering getting a 4 year degree. I have an associates, but I feel like a computer science degree will fill in the gaps in my knowledge and help me be a better pentester, especially on the application side.
  • Options
    r0ckm4n wrote: »
    I would like to take the OSCE course, but I have some work to do to be at the level to start that course. Maybe I will be ready sometime next year.

This will be epic! Also I think the idea about a degree is a good one.
  • Options
    This will be epic! Also I think the idea about a degree is a good one.

Not having a 4 year degree is the only thing that would hold me back. I have experience, certs and an associates degree.