Options

Wgu kft1

NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
What did you guys do for the parter portion of this class? I just passed KET1 and an going to begin on KFT1 tonight.
When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.

Comments

• Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck. I heard it was very unorganized
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    For the partner portion, you've got enough options. You can--

1. Post to the WGU boards looking for partners (how I did it).
    2. Ask current/former WGU students here who've taken the course
    3. Find coworkers who program professionally, and ask them to participate.

And there are likely more ways I haven't mentioned.

IMO, the WGU boards option is best. You can help other students finish their work at the same time you're doing yours. Even the ones who've already done the work can hone their presentation and OOP skills by working through the topic again. It takes a bit of active effort to line up activity through the WGU boards, but it's definitely worth it. You will need to check the boards frequently and E-mail folks frequently (you may also want to get contact numbers in case you need to call them). There are free conferencing options out there so you don't have to spend lots of money on calls.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Cold TitaniumCold Titanium Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does WGU call the people who fill out those sheets? Because they have a spot where you enter your phone number.
    2014 Goals
    • Pass OSCP (In Progress)
    • Obtain employment in IT Security
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think they call all of the students. Maybe if the student is on probation or something like that. The first 3 tasks aren't that difficult, it is harder to find someone to work with and evaluate the code / presentations.

Go to meeting has a month trial that worked well for me, when evaluating code and doing the presentations.
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    How long did it take you to do KET1? I am starting both classes in my last semester in June. I have been putting them off :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    I started KET1 on 4-3 and submitted the second project on 4-10, so about 7 days. I got the maximum points on all the projects.
  • Options
    milieumilieu Member Posts: 41 ■□□□□□□□□□
    KET1 was really easy, but then I already work as a programmer. You have to work on 2 fairly simple Java programs. I think it took about a week to submit both.

KFT1 totally stopped me this term. 4 tasks, and three of them require partners to work with. I stalled out trying to prepare presentations that I was seriously uninspired to give. I became a programmer so I wouldn't have to talk to people. ;)

My mentor tells me that both are getting big changes, starting in May. As I understand it, KFT1 will be two separate courses, each worth 2 units. One will have a WGU exam, the other a single project. Neither will require partners or presentations.
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    @milieu, do you know if that will change for those currently enrolled? I know they made changes to the Security BS before like adding the Linux+ which did not affect those already enrolled in the degree.

Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    milieumilieu Member Posts: 41 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ajmatson wrote: »
    @milieu, do you know if that will change for those currently enrolled?
    My mentor said I would have the option to either take the old course, or the new one.

I don't know why you would want to take the old one, but I would guess that they will allow people already enrolled to take either, then at some point phase out the old course. But that's just my wild speculation. ;)

Personally, I think it's an excellent change. KFT1 was way too much material for a single class.
  • Options
    In that case then I will likely wait to enroll in KFT1 - the new ones sound better. I agree, the tasks in KET1 with pretty trivial.