CCNP Switch DONE!

JasonXJasonX Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just finished sitting the Switch Exam, scored a lil over 900.

My company bought the entire FLG so I've been using that for reading material while taking notes. The Switch book was poorly written in comparison to the Route book, guess that's why people indicate to use the OCG. Also supplemented with CBT videos and lab manual.

Last left is T-Shoot. Looking to knock that one out in about 2-3 weeks.
2016 Certification Goals:
CCIE R/S Written: ???
CCIE R/S Lab: ???
Add me on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/pub/jason-meier/38/912/280/

Comments

• lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!

I passed SWITCH a few days ago, just preparing to knock out ROUTE right now.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass!!
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • _Marauder_Marauder Member Posts: 132 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    What are your study recommendations for Switch? CBT for sure but book wise?

*Edit*

Actually, I think I will do Route first the more I think about it.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • dmcneil330dmcneil330 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats i Sit for my exam on the 29th
    CCNP: SWITCH[X] ROUTE[] TSHOOT[]
  • d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What are your study recommendations for Switch? CBT for sure but book wise?

*Edit*

Actually, I think I will do Route first the more I think about it.

I second this. Please do share. :)
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • JasonXJasonX Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Route I'd go with the FLG, the Switch FLG had numerous errors and typos.

I didn't have the OCG but from what I hear, it is preferred over the FLG for people who read both.

Equipment wise, I have well over 2000 switches I have access to as I work at a NOC doing all levels of troubleshooting. Thankfully I'm not just a ticket monkey and actually configure/deploy daily.

CBT vids are a good watch as well. But definetly at least read 1 of those books cover-to-cover taking notes.
  • Bender RodriguezBender Rodriguez Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You're right on track with me. I just have the TSHOOT left to go. From what I hear, it's not as hard as the route or switch exams. I have heard ppl say that the r&s exams are the real meat & potatos of the ccnp. It always comes down to personal preference I guess, though. I was looking at the lab topology and it doesn't look too bad.
    Why did you go for the CCNP? Expecting to get a raise, change jobs, or pursue the CCIE? Was it just for self betterment?
  • JasonXJasonX Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're right on track with me. I just have the TSHOOT left to go. From what I hear, it's not as hard as the route or switch exams. I have heard ppl say that the r&s exams are the real meat & potatos of the ccnp. It always comes down to personal preference I guess, though. I was looking at the lab topology and it doesn't look too bad.
    Why did you go for the CCNP? Expecting to get a raise, change jobs, or pursue the CCIE? Was it just for self betterment?

Same I've heard. Hell, some people take it the same day as the Switch or Route, whatever they took second.

I went for the CCNP as when I was configuring and troubleshooting at my job, I wanted to fill in the gaps. I'm not expecting a pay raise which is unfortunate as I took a big paycut going to this job. I say this due to few of my coworkers having Firstly, A Bachelor's degree Secondly, a Bachelor's in an IT related field thirdly, I'm 1 outta 3 of around 20 employees in my group who have a CCNA.

I'd love to stick around as the work-life balance is great and I actually work with the equipment daily vs possibly being a ticket monkey at a NOC with Verizon or AT&T and I like the people I work with. However, I think I'm underpaid as is now with my existing credentials. After obtaining the CCNP and it looking like I won't receive a review (raise) for 18 months from my start date, I'd be doing myself a disservice unless they'd give me a promotion.
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    Being underpaid in NYC is especially bad. I really want to relocate there (wife is from NY) and I wouldn't even entertain jobs less than 100K.
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Congrats!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I myself also bought the Route FLG and the Switch OCG. Even the OCG Switch book also didnt have the best amazon reviews
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Very nice certification
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    JasonX wrote: »
    Route I'd go with the FLG, the Switch FLG had numerous errors and typos.

I didn't have the OCG but from what I hear, it is preferred over the FLG for people who read both.

Equipment wise, I have well over 2000 switches I have access to as I work at a NOC doing all levels of troubleshooting. Thankfully I'm not just a ticket monkey and actually configure/deploy daily.

CBT vids are a good watch as well. But definetly at least read 1 of those books cover-to-cover taking notes.

I've changed my mind yet again, I am going to start with Switch. My environment is more switching than Routing anyway and I am stronger in Switching anyway. Ordered the Switch OCG and have started the Nuggets

My lab gear is fine, no need to make adjustments there. Running 3550 and 2950 switches with 1841 routers.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • dmcneil330dmcneil330 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you need both the FLG and OCG for this exam. I haven't taken it yet, but the two seem to compliment each other nicely so far. I take my exam on the 29th i'll get back with you then. the FLG is wrought with errors and typos though, it's kind of fun to pick them out.
    CCNP: SWITCH[X] ROUTE[] TSHOOT[]