How bad is it if I don't wear a suit to an interview

2»

Comments

• ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks like he didn't wear a suit to the 1st interview and are bringing him back for a 2nd.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It would be great for the other candidates if you didn't wear a suit.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You will not be turned down from a job because you wore a suit or a blazer/tie. I can't say the inverse will be true.

If there is anyone in the hiring chain for whom this is a big deal, it might be the "little thing" that gets the other candidate the offer before you.

I can't say that I agree with shelling out upwards of $500 for a custom tailored suit for a job interview in 98% or so of cases that will apply to most people here. However, if I were going to work for a big financial services firm in NYC, or were going to be front and center with big money customers as a consultant, then I might spend that much or more.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I have an inexpensive suit of off-the-rack separates from Sears or Penny's that oddly enough fit better than anything I tried on from the 4 suit stores I went to that same day. A quick trip to the tailor for some alterations (mostly for the pant length, they too were surprised with how well it fit) and I am set. If the OP doesn't want to go that route and doesn't even want to go with a blazer, I'd stress that Dockers are NOT slacks; glorified black tennis shoes are not dress shoes and short sleeves with a tie make you look like an 80s insurance salesman.

I also like to pay attention the little details; good socks (predominate color should match the slacks or shoes unless you have panache and can prove it), I wear a silver watch most days, but if I am dressed up with a gold belt buckle I put on a gold watch (leather strap to match the belt/shoe color; lifetime battery changes so the damn things run) and make sure the knot in your tie looks good. To me, fewer things look more awkward than a giant lopsided knot.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    If it's the matter of wearing a suit or not that makes or breaks an interview, you don't want to work there anyways. A competent hiring manager only cares that you're presentable, beyond that.. it's the ability to do your job that matters. If the ability to do your job depends on your appearance, ie.. a sales engineer or account manager, then you need to wear a suit. It shows that you have suits in your closet, which means you have had a decent amount of customer face time in the past. If it's a position as a backshop engineer; Personally, an engineer that shows up in a 3 piece suit, shoes shined, and gel in his hair... I'd have to question where their priorities are. If it's a position at a helpdesk or an operations center, the only thing they'll probably care about is that you'll fit in with the rest of your crew.
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For me it's pretty simple: It sucks to be underdressed but you can never be overdressed.

The only thing optional is a tie.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    My three past jobs that I had I wore khakis, and a polo or long sleeve button-up.

Never... ever... warn a suit, and never lost the position over it... So, I don't think it's a necessity.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You can never be overdressed for anything. You can always be underdressed.

I've had three jobs so far, and for my latest and biggest one I wore a suit to the interview.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 252 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dude it's HP not Geek squad; I would wear a suit or blazer jacket with slacks, tie and shirt. You can go to an thrift shop if you can't go to a Macy or Bloomadales type of place. I've always heard it's about your appearances (i.e. first Appearances says it all) and how you relate to the current staff versus technical ability can be key too. I'm seeing lesser technical people who have good or strong communication skills get jobs that in the past they would never get an shot.
    I second this. I would wear a suit in a heartbeat if I had a shot at HP.

Also, about communication skills, this is absolutely correct. I believe that I have gotten my jobs through smooth talking and being well spoken.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Sponx depends what positions you are applying for.

You are a tier 1 or 2 tech so that is acceptable for that type of position.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think it's more about leaving an impression of taking the opportunity seriously to sit down with them. You may not be interviewing for a sales position, but during the interview process, you are selling yourself.

It might make a difference, it might not. If it comes down to a interview process ranging a few weeks or months with many candidates, and it comes time to narrow things down, while it is true that skills and abilities are going to get you to the next step in the process, the first impression is most important. They are going to remember you visually as much as the other aspects of your interview.

I think I agree that communication skills are extremely important. More important than what you wear (within the minimum dress parameters that have been mentioned here).

I have to LOL at the "I would question the motives of someone wearing a suit" mentality that some have voiced. Wow.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's HP, wear a suit.

If I had an interview with HP, I'd be inclined to go out and get something new. My suits have been slightly damaged over the years from dry cleaners.

I usually shopped at Men's Warehouse, but my local store closed a while back. Thanks to those who mentioned Jos A Bank. I looked them up and found a location less than 10 miles from my house.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    I've never worn a suit to an interview and I really doubt it has ever hurt me. I'd rather wear a quality button up shirt and pants with some nice shoes etc.. than a cheap off the shelf suit. To me it looks cheap. Those who say "just get a cheap suit" you are the ones the rest of us make fun of, regardless of whether you get the job. Trust me, I've seen it happen several times to guys who wore suits to their interview/first day on the job. So yeah, you can still get a job in spite of wearing a suit, but you're not going to get a job because you wore a suit.

As others have said, if the job your going for requires a suit than yeah, obviously you should wear a suit to the interview, but if you're in that situation you probably dont need people on this forum to tell you that.
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would highly suggest getting a suit. You don't need to go out and spend $500 though.

Dress to impress.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    For a while I went with a dress shirt and dress pants because I couldn't afford a good suit.
    By good I mean anything over $75 bucks
    Good suits start at around $100 bucks, check Macys and JC Penny clearance or go to Khols/Marshalls
    If you can afford it, I'd recommend buying one.
    After I got a good job after a couple of months I bought a suit
    meh
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Wow, still lots of guys saying "Wear a suit".

I've never, ever worn a suit. I've worked for plenty of very large and well known companies, and have never had an issue. 98% of the guys I know in the field no longer wear a suit either.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    One should probably HAVE a suit in case one is necessary. I am somewhat surprised at everyone who thinks that somehow HP is different than all the other tech firms out there and somehow they are more buttoned up and serious. That might be true...somewhere in HP, but I get a much different read of their corporate culture.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The suit has nothing to do with your skills, a company that looks down on a person that doesn't have a suit is not worth it plain and simple. I never wore a suit in any of my interviews, just a tie, dress shirt, dress pants, and shoes are sufficient. Don't worry about the suit, the suit will come in due time. Make a statement with your words not your appearance. Good luck on your interview.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    To the people that say a suit isn't necessary but to wear a shirt, slacks and tie, why are you even going to that trouble if it doesn't matter what you wear? The way I see it you are dressing up to impress and show you take the opportunity seriously. Why halfass something like that?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I guess you guys who don't wear suits don't like looking sharp. I personally think suits are like awesome gift wrapping. If the wrapping paper is dazzling, what makes you think that the present inside isn't? Id rather be all shiny and presentable to an interviewer than some dull brown box they have no interest in right away.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    To the people that say a suit isn't necessary but to wear a shirt, slacks and tie, why are you even going to that trouble if it doesn't matter what you wear? The way I see it you are dressing up to impress and show you take the opportunity seriously. Why halfass something like that?

Because when I don't 'halfass' as suit (which I agree should never be done) I have cuff links, collar pins, handkerchief or pocket square, and maybe even a vest. This says "I am here to sue somebody" not "I would like to optimize your Hyper-V environment". Shirt, tie, slacks, and shined shoes is the standard nowadays even outside of IT. I don't know whether that is good or not, but it is the norm. If OP can't afford a suit that fits right he should take the shirt/tie/slacks combo he does have to the dry cleaner so it looks neat, clean, and wrinkle free and he will be fine. A lot of people think there is some sort of magic dress, this isn't true. A suit is no good if you look like a wrinkled bag in it. I would take the guy who spent the time to get his clothes pressed and shined over someone who bought a sport coat to go over their dryer-wrinkled clothes. Just one guy's opinion.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If we consolidate the suit vs. no suit threads I am sure we'll get dozens of pages.

Everyone needs to understand that there is NO universal solution. You do what you feel is best. Some places will definitely look down on you for not wearing a suit. Certain industries (law, finance, healthcare, etc) place special importance in appearance and therefore your attire will be judged more critically. Others will go "why is this guy wearing a suit? Does he think this is a law firm?" It is up to you is to strike a balance between your beliefs and the company's expectations.

We all have our likes and dislikes and some people either hate suits with a passion or believe they don't provide an edge during the interview process. I believe every gentleman should own at least one well-tailored suit. You never know when the occasion will call for one and then you'll have to run around looking for one at the last minute. One thing is for sure, as others have mentioned: no matter what you wear, let it be a suit, dress shirt and tie, etc. make sure it fits well, it is clean, pressed, and looks sharp. Nothing is worse than sloppy dressing.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■

Decline of Western civilization? Lack of attention to detail? People prefer to half-ass things, because doing things right is too much of a pain? :)
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    @ N2IT

I don't think the position always determines the need for proper apparel, I think it's the company and the manager or board that's interviewing you.

Is a tier 2 position of lower "respect" than an information security position, or networking position?

I mean unless you're going in for higher management, project management, VP position, or if you're going to be the face to a lot of government, or state support... Not sure why something other than a suit is looked down upon.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    I guess you guys who don't wear suits don't like looking sharp. I personally think suits are like awesome gift wrapping. If the wrapping paper is dazzling, what makes you think that the present inside isn't? Id rather be all shiny and presentable to an interviewer than some dull brown box they have no interest in right away.

Because wearing a cheap suit is half assing it IMO. A $100 suit that isnt tailored looks cheaper than $200-300 dollars between a nice dress shirt and wool pants. I guarantee I look better in my usual interview attire than a guy wearing a cheap non-tailored suit.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I tend towards wearing a suit for the interview at least and I work in a culture that requires a suit while at work. I've found good deals at Men's Wharehouse, Jos A. Banks and local men's clothing stores and prefer that over off the rack suits. That being said an off the rack suit can look good if it fits well.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • davidboydavidboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didnt expect there to be so many responses in this thread.

Anyways, my second interview turned out to be over the phone (whew!) and I am 90% sure I got the job! It's probably time for me to buy a new suit
  • davidboydavidboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not to hijack, but my buddy (who used to do tier III storage support for HP) mentioned that HP was about to go on a hiring spree for Windows Engineers to do datacenter and Hyper-V installs. By chance, is this the type of job you are interviewing for?
    Nope. Do you know what division he works for?
    Essendon wrote: »
    I dont know where you live that a suit costs $500, I bought a Van Heusen for $300 and it came with 2 trousers. Fits great and looks top notch. Look around in your local area, surely you can find something cheaper, even a rental one would do.
    A low quality suit is not something I want to buy. The fit, material, and quality are important to me considering the point of wearing a suit is to look sharp and professional.
    ccnxjr wrote: »
    I'll re-iterate the need for a suit.

BTW, if it's not too personal, what happened to the suit you wore for your first interview?
    Did you get away with not wearing one then?
    I did not wear a suit for my first interview. I just wore dress pants, dress shoes, a button down, and a tie. Fortunately, it didn't work against me. I earned my current two jobs/internships (IT related) with good interviews without wearing a suit either but those positions and firms are not as prestigious as this opportunity.