Options

another CCNA add-on or CCNP?

brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have had my CCNA:Security cert. for about a year and a half. Before I know it, it will be time to renew my CCNA. (Time flies like I can't believe.) Would I be better off starting to study for my CCNP or do another CCNA add-on? My goal being to find a job in the IT field. I actually started studying for the CCNP a while back, but decided to concentrate on finding a job first.

Comments

• Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    It depends on what you want to do. If networking is your desired then CCNP would be best.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you currently don't have any work history in IT, then it's probably better to get another CCNA.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    dave330i wrote: »
    If you currently don't have any work history in IT, then it's probably better to get another CCNA.

I agree with this, looks odd to me to be on a Level 1 team with a CCNP
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you already have a CCNA and a CCNA:Sec I don't think another CCNA is the best way to recertification.

If I would be in your place I would pick either ROUTE or SWITCH from the CCNP track and knock it out. If you do that you will get recertification and a good step towards CCNP. It would still give you three years to pass the other two CCNP exams so that three years down the road you could have experience and a CCNP.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Imho - you don't need another CERT, you already have enough and should have a job to add some experience to your resume.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    dave330i wrote: »

agree ^
    meh
  • Options
    brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JeanM wrote: »
    Imho - you don't need another CERT, you already have enough and should have a job to add some experience to your resume.

I couldn't agree more. But, I have not been able to get anyone to hire me the entire time I have been getting certs, starting with my A+ and I want to at least retain my CCNA and keep trying.