Setting up a lab for MCSA: Windows server 2012

armandsssarmandsss Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Wanted to ask for advice: What could be the best solution to set up a lab for MCSA: WIndows Server 2012 ?

I am using laptop with i7 proccessor, 8GB ram and 750 GB. So should I create a separate partition on hard disk where I install Windows server 2012 and then usiing Hyper-V install some virtual machines. Or maybe use Oracle VM VIrtualbox and create virtual machines there. And how many virtual machines I will need to install for this MCSA: Windows Server 2012

Would really appreciate to hear some advices. Thanx in advance.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Install VirtualBox/VirtualPC/VMware Workstation on your laptop and create VM's inside the product. That way you keep it all nice and simple. You may want to bump up the RAM on the machine, but you may just get by with 8GB. As for the number of VM's, just go with the flow. If the labs your doing ask for x number of VM's, just create them. You are going to need atleast one Domain Controller and a client machine to begin labbing, then increase as needed.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    I echo Essendon. VMware is a great way to learn the material and the OS without spending a lot of money. i think its a great thing to start and build on with CBT nuggets and materials.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Come on, Server 2012 comes with Hyper-V. Why not install your VMs on Hyper-V and learn it as well?
    You need to have a physical machine to create hyper VMS. You can't have a Windows Server 2012 VM with VM's inside. Won't allow. I've tried icon_sad.gif
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Or you can have Windows 8 and use the client Hyper-v feature to build your VM's. Whichever way you, there's going to be a fair learning curve. VirtualBox maybe the least painful to setup. Workstation isnt too difficult either, but VirtualBox should be easier.

Dont get hung up on which software to use, just take your pick.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • armandsssarmandsss Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanx guys. Will go with Oracle VM VirtualBox. Seems the easiest way here.
    Good luck! Let us know!