Options

Effectiveness of video learning (CBT, Shon Harris, etc) ?

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
I'm halfway through reading Conrads book, and it's slower going than I had hoped but I am pushing to finish soon. I really wish I could take a bootcamp however the cost is too prohibitive. The next closest thing is video learning but I wanted to get peoples thoughts. I have access to the SH videos for free through work and I watched some demo videos of CBT CISSP series and I actually like those more. I wanted to see who has used video learning for the CISSP and their thoughts on it.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    honestly i thought they were poorly done. I used it for the crypto and BCP/DR domains and while I watched the rest, I didn't really focus all that much (except for those two domains). I would use it as a supplement only to Conrad (full guide), CISSP Review Seminar Handbook v12 or the ISC2 CBK Book.
  • Options
    ssehgssehg Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bootcamp is good idea. I attended one from Simplilearn .
  • Options
    Emerald, which videos did you think were poorly done, the CBT or Shon Harris? I've heard ok things about the CBT and that they were good to use in conjunction with reading. I have heard the SH videos were awful.

ssehg, the bootcamp is not an option for me as it's too cost prohibitive.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ssehg wrote: »
    Bootcamp is good idea. I attended one from Simplilearn .

I took the course for the CAPM from Simplilearn and wasn't very impressed.
  • Options
    airbenairben Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I attended a bootcamp from InfoSec Institute and thought it was very good. I would recommend them.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Emerald, which videos did you think were poorly done, the CBT or Shon Harris?

I was referring to the Shon videos. But that's just my experience; others may find them beneficial.
  • Options
    I was referring to the Shon videos. But that's just my experience; others may find them beneficial.

Ah ok. Your thoughts mirror pretty much every review I've read on the Shon videos. The CBT Nugget series however, I have heard lots of positive on. I'm leaning towards subscribing for a month, maybe two to the CBT Nuggets.