Who is studying the new CCENT/CCNA exam material?

Ironman9980Ironman9980 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
After 10 years since my last certification I have decided ive been stuck in a rut for too long on a helpdesk job and need to get into something more challenging so I decided to take up Cisco. I did have my exam booked for the old ICND1 exam but have just canceled it as I dont think I have time to pass both ICND1+2 by September.

So is anyone else going down the new route? I cant find any exam study material about apart from the new CBT nuggets videos, I cant really afford the $99 a month subscription at present.

Ive also heard this exam is going to be hard to pass but worth it when passed?

Comments

• pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You might want to consider taking the ICND1.1 exam. You can take it until Sept. 30th, which I think is more than enough time to prepare for it. I hope they are difficult, they wouldn't mean much otherwise.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wendel Odom's official 100-101 study guides come out the first week of next month.
    Personally, I am waiting for Todd Lammle's new CCENT book that he is completing right now. I hope it comes out soon.

By the way, I had a chance to sample a few of the CBT Nuggets videos for the new ICND1. IT IS PHENOMENAL.
    No, seriously, best nugget series I've ever seen! 5 years after the first series.. Much more relevant.

So my suggestions is to just wait for now. Let the books come out in a few weeks.
    You could benefit from learning switch and router basics, such as how they communicate and read packets. Also brush up on your OSI model, as well as TCP/IP basics and how packets are created. If you get that done, SUBNET SUBNET SUBNET. Seriously, practice that stuff.

In the mean time, I am building my personal lab! Its good time to wait on things to arrive in the mail. Perhaps you would like to build one too as the new ICND1 is harder and contains ICND2 topics.

ps. Always use a textbook as videos do not cover anywhere near what the exam tests you on. Its definitely a great supplement along with labbing.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The exam shouldn't be viewed as "Hard." Think of it as more relevant to the real world.

It's only hard if you don't know the material. If you know it, it's pretty darn easy.

I'll be studying the new stuff for the knowledge :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Ironman9980Ironman9980 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I have managed to get a copy of the new Cisco Press 100-101 book and access too the new CBT nuggets, so going to take it all in slowly over the next few months rather than try and cram it all in without really understanding what im learning, doubt ill be able to afford the good cisco equipement but Ive got Cisco Packet Tracer Ver 6 to practice with to some extent icon_smile.gif
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm already a CCNA, but I have a CBT Nuggets subscription so I sat down and watched the technical nuggets (ignoring the theory). Totally impressed with this series. While it is very long (40 videos), it's fair to say one could watch the nuggets while working in a lab they could manage CISCO equipment in a smaller organization.

My own opinion is that the syllabus of the new CCNA makes a great deal of sense and is far more "real world" than the previous CCNA.
    Well I have managed to get a copy of the new Cisco Press 100-101 book and access too the new CBT nuggets, so going to take it all in slowly over the next few months rather than try and cram it all in without really understanding what im learning, doubt ill be able to afford the good cisco equipement but Ive got Cisco Packet Tracer Ver 6 to practice with to some extent icon_smile.gif

Look anywhere on the internet. People highly recommend a home lab. I did some ebay shopping looking for lots of 3 to save money, I got my 3 2620xm routers and 3 2950c switches for 200 total. You just have to be patient. There are way too many advantages of a real lab over simulation. Would you prefer to have a surgeon who says "Hey, I've read about it and did some surgery simulations. It shouldn't be too hard." Or would you prefer a surgeon who not only studied but also performed surgeries over and over in the past.

You have the ebook correct? I know the actual printed version hasnt come out yet. I prefer the actual books over ebooks. the act of flipping pages really help.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179

Is there a link to that? Because when I log into my account with cisco, the most updated version that is available is 5.5.3
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I pre-ordered both books from Amazon today!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is there a link to that? Because when I log into my account with cisco, the most updated version that is available is 5.5.3

Packet Tracer 6 is in beta...
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Ironman9980Ironman9980 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Look anywhere on the internet. People highly recommend a home lab. I did some ebay shopping looking for lots of 3 to save money, I got my 3 2620xm routers and 3 2950c switches for 200 total. You just have to be patient. There are way too many advantages of a real lab over simulation. Would you prefer to have a surgeon who says "Hey, I've read about it and did some surgery simulations. It shouldn't be too hard." Or would you prefer a surgeon who not only studied but also performed surgeries over and over in the past.

You have the ebook correct? I know the actual printed version hasnt come out yet. I prefer the actual books over ebooks. the act of flipping pages really help.

I would love to be able to have the money to purchase even second hand equipment to make a lab but my money is real tight (long story, split from long term partner, house+mortgage+son to support ect) so what ever money I have free has to go on that, Im aiming to pass CCENT/CCNA so I can start looking into getting a higher paid job, my current job is looking to second me into the comms teams so I can get some hands on experience so i guess that may help to some extent?

Yeah I have managed to get ahold of an electronic copy of the book, but will get the hard back when its printed as I hate looking at a computer screen for more than a few hours.

Well I managed to get it off another forum, It dont mention beta on the software when its loaded? ill check when I get home.
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    I just started. I intended to do the old one but could not . So i guess its the new one ! !

I intend to finish it this year. But the labs worry me a little. With all the new additions especially in the wireless sector !
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

I just started. I intended to do the old one but could not . So i guess its the new one ! !

I intend to finish it this year. But the labs worry me a little. With all the new additions especially in the wireless sector !

but there is no wireless in the new CCNA
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • twill713twill713 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The cheapest I can find 2620xm routers is like $100 each, I've been debating on going with one of the ebay kits or not but it's all expensive at the moment. =(
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    but there is no wireless in the new CCNA

He probably means Cellular Wireless (What you would have on a Phone or Tablet). While the new CCENT dropped Wireless LANs (802.11), I believe the new CCNA includes 3G/4G (Cellular Wireless) technologies.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    twill713 wrote: »
    The cheapest I can find 2620xm routers is like $100 each, I've been debating on going with one of the ebay kits or not but it's all expensive at the moment. =(

The 1700 series are MUCH cheaper. You just can't mount them on a rack (except for the 1760). If money is tight, you might consider a 1751.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    WAN Technologies
    • Identify different WAN Technologies
      • Metro Ethernet
      • VSAT
      • Cellular 3G / 4G
      • MPLS
      • T1 / E1
      • ISDN
      • DSL
      • Frame relay
      • Cable
      • VPN
    • Configure and verify a basic WAN serial connection
    • Configure and verify a PPP connection between Cisco routers
    • Configure and verify Frame Relay on Cisco routers
    • Implement and troubleshoot PPPoE
    I was talking about these wireless topics .
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    1751 or 1721's can be had for cheap look for the ones with a square with 32 in it as they have 32MB flash same for 1760's

If anyone in Sydney wants a few I'm selling 5 1721's , 2 1751's ,a 3640 and a 2950.
    If its someone on here(techexams) I'll through in a 2950g - $200 for the lot - need the space.
    Listing them on ebay later
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • galorybergaloryber Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also pre-ordered the books on Amazon a few weeks back. I guess this way I get a little bit of a break before diving into the books again. :)

It's just my opinion, but why study the old material when the new material is available? Being up to date is a valuable thing in IT. Although the concepts of the old exams are still going to hold true moving forward, wouldn't you feel like you're missing out on something more? 2 cents