Options

Law firm position

etbjr182etbjr182 Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anyone here work for a law firm/office doing IT? I have an opportunity for a helpdesk/trainer position. It would be a lateral move but a 10k raise. Benefits would be good for medical but vacation would be lacking from my current position. I am just curious on the work environment. I heard it can be stressful but seeing if its an industry worth getting experience in. Thanks for your input!

p.s I dont mind wearing a tie. icon_lol.gif
Currently studying for 70-640 :study:

Comments

• Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Which law firm are you going to? I've only seen one posting regarding IT for a law firm and they wanted law firm experience icon_scratch.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did support at an MSP and we had a few law firms as clients. Stress is not the word, they are down right awful to work with. Everything had to be done yesterday and they were always just a hassle. I'd take the interview and see how you felt after that, but I hadn't had a good experience with them.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did not have a good experience, they are always on a rush, neve have time to help you out with requirement and support. Not something that i would take into consideration(only if i really need the job, better than been unemployed but not as a lateral move) my 2 cents.
  • Options
    etbjr182etbjr182 Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    webgeek wrote: »
    Which law firm are you going to? I've only seen one posting regarding IT for a law firm and they wanted law firm experience

It's through a recruiter. The law firm is Broad and Cassel. The HR lady said they don't REQUIRE law firm experience since its a helpdesk position.

the_Grinch wrote: »
    I did support at an MSP and we had a few law firms as clients. Stress is not the word, they are down right awful to work with. Everything had to be done yesterday and they were always just a hassle. I'd take the interview and see how you felt after that, but I hadn't had a good experience with them.

chmod wrote: »
    I did not have a good experience, they are always on a rush, neve have time to help you out with requirement and support. Not something that i would take into consideration(only if i really need the job, better than been unemployed but not as a lateral move) my 2 cents.

Thanks for the heads up! I figured/heard exactly what you guys said. I think I'll pass and keep looking for a system/jr system admin position.icon_thumright.gif
    Currently studying for 70-640 :study:
  • Options
    Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    I work in a law firm doing IT work. Usually the pay is higher than other areas due to the fact the lawyers get paid more. Also you get bonuses at the end of the year. So in money sense yea its better. Know you career goals, if this is a regional office you can get youself stuck in a heldesk silo and really never get out. Make sure there is professional growth opportunity if you want it later down the road.

Working in a law firm isnt bad, the people are no different than you and I, they just make wayy more money than most people :)