Starting my ISSAP studies June 1st

TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
I've been casually looking around for ISSAP resources but it appears to be the ones I've found to be out-dated, are there any current or projected releases out there?
Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida

Comments

• down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    When I was going through the ISSAP studies I used the latest CBK from ISC, selected chapters from the CISSP AIO, and also selected readings from Security Engineering. There are a number of NIST documents you can supplement with, but short of attending one of the ISSAP review courses, this is about all that is available for the exam.

The exam is similar to the CISSP, just more concentrated in the selected domains of study.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The objectives for the ISSAP have changed as of 1Apr13 so start there. I have no idea if they are making the test harder or easier. Looks easier from my scan of the documents. Then again, haven't read anything confirming one way or another. So... let us know. ;)

Appears that they have dropped alot of the VoIP stuff that was really the worst part of the exam for me, personally. So, thats good news.

The small green book is a good start but read as much from the bibliographies at the end of each chapter as you can get a handle on. I know a great of this information can be found in old fashioned libraries as well on the 'net making the preparation all that more difficult.

- beads
  • DrackarDrackar Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you work for the government (Govvie or contractor) and have a government email account you can enroll in free ISSEP/AP/MP training sponsored by Carnegie Mellon. The link for the account is below:

https://www.fedvte-fsi.gov/VTE.LMS.WEB/
    To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.
    -- Kokoro by Natsume Sosek, 1914, Japan
  • dijital1dijital1 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The advice already given about the Official CBK and reviewing the pertinent sections from the AIO guide are really good. The CBK wasn't out when I took the ISSAP exam so I primarily focuses on the AIO sections and self study as a way to prepare.

The ISSAP is easily the most fun out of all of the specialization exams from my viewpoint. It's much more technical than the CISSP. As far as the recent changes, I wouldn't stress too much about it. I doubt that they've made the exam much harder or easier. Pretty much if you would have passed the ISSAP exam from a couple of years ago, you'll pass the current one.

They don't change huge sections of the exams all at once.