Options

Long Term Unemployed

lilmansdadlilmansdad Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
The Terrifying Reality of Long-Term Unemployment - Yahoo! Finance

Anyone else seen this article? Any thoughts?

How much would certs help (and which ones) for those unemployed for quite a while?

Comments

• Options
    certs4mecerts4me Member Posts: 15 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just read it. Certs probably won't help much for the long term unemployed but at least they help keep your skills up to date. Better to focus more on finding employment.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I read it as well. I think volunteering might help. Especially if you can get some letters of recommendation while you are unemployed. Granted, not getting paid but at least you are doing some work.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    If the HR Bots are only going to consider working or recently unemployed candidates, then make sure you are not unemployed long-term. If that means starting your own business that repairs one PC a month, so be it. Work-from-home sites like Amazon Turk or similar could provide you 'current employment' even if you aren't going into an office 8-5. There may still be other filters like certs, education, or experience, but don't let the unemployed black mark get you.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah I worried about this back when I was out of work for a bit. Seemed like any job I interviewed with took their sweet time getting back to me, not like I was sitting around waiting for those particular jobs or anything. Then my current job they called me a few days after the interview with an offer which shocked me at how quick it was.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    im always on the never go unemployeed boat, you can always become a contractor (IT day laborer) or start your own biz just to ensure the scanning bots dont see it

its not that hard to make an llc and a website for a self start company
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I knew it was bad but maaan..Thanks for sharing that.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    im always on the never go unemployeed boat, you can always become a contractor (IT day laborer) or start your own biz just to ensure the scanning bots dont see it

its not that hard to make an llc and a website for a self start company

This! If I get laid off that same day I will hop on Sunbiz.org and file for a CORP or LLC. Or sign up with Onforce or something similar. I will not have a gap of employment on my resume.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can you still collect unemployment? I figured you just have to declare whatever earnings you make while collecting.