Options

Resume Critique - Seeking Help and Advice Please!!

JeyspecJeyspec Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Looking into changing careers and diving into IT. As my resume states I do have an associate's in computer networking form 2006 and some recent part time consulting. I'm currently working on my A+ cert and decided to begin putting together a resume. I haven't put one together in years so your advice and help will be needed here!! Thanks in advanced....

Jervis Diaz
Xxxx Somwhere Terrace, Pomona, New York 10970
Cell Phone: (xxx) xxx-xxxx
E-Mail: JervisDiaz@gmail.com
Professional Summary

Seeking to transition into an IT related field with 3+ years of IT consulting; providing solutions and guidance to clients and small businesses. Key roles are building, troubleshooting, and repairing computer systems and related networks. Current employment strengthens quality, work performance, and ethics.

Experience

Andrews Building Corp. – New York, NY 10/09 - Present

IT Consultant (Contractor)

· Maintain a small personal network department consisting of various servers and equipment required to troubleshoot printers, devices and peripherals
· Provide user support to all aspects including printing, software and hardware related issues
· Analysis of IT system requirements and provide customers with detailed plans for current and future solutions
· Manage, deploy, maintain, support and upgrade PC’s, hardware, software, operating systems and networked printers
· Installation, maintenance, update and support of all applications, systems, and communications software
· Setup wired and wireless networks with file and print servers
· Manage project status accurately to satisfy client requirements
· Develop and maintain strong working relationships with clients and team members
· Perform quoting and invoicing for all customer necessities
Zimmer TMT, Inc. – Parsippany, NJ 3/04 - Present

EDM Operator

· Set-up system operations of Wire, Hole Drill, and Ram EDM CNC Machines
· Perform in-process inspection to insure products meet required specifications within an FDA regulated environment
· Met quality control requirements utilizing standard measuring instrument such as calipers, micrometers, scales, and venires
· Adhere to GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) guidelines during production to ensure product traceability is not compromised
· Perform in house verification of machines that include:
o Passing specifications given by manufacture
o OQ (Operational Qualification) of machine for initial use
· Maintain documentation of all preventive maintenance performed
· Provide guidance and training of new employees while adhering to department specifications
· Satisfy safety requirements by mentoring others to the current Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) and Safety Data Sheet (SDS) guidelines that apply
· Ability to work in a high-pressure environment, under high workloads and tight deadlines; while meeting schedules, goals, objectives and milestones

Education

The College of Westchester 2004

Associate Degree in Computer Network Administration
Certificates

· Mitsubishi “A” Series EDM Level 1
· Drafting
· Blueprint Reading (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing)

Skills

· Extensive experience with windows operating systems (including Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Mac OS X)
· Quick learner, able to understand all aspects of a job with minimal training
· Motivated self-starter that can work independently and in a team environment
· Strong analytical capabilities
· Leadership qualities gained with work experiences
· Effectively communicates on a high technical level in relation to machinery and its operation
· Ability to relay technical expertise to non-technical audiences
· Effective time management that allows for multitasking between projects without loss of efficiency
· Quality oriented team skills and exhibiting a passion for excellence
· Fluent in the Spanish language

Comments

• Options
    So many views with no input from anyone ?
  • Options
    KMYostKMYost Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, it seems very 'busy'. I've been a freelance writer on and off throughout my career, and I would very carefully rank your skills in order of importance to your target employer, and then eliminate the least important 3. Same goes for the bullet points on the freelance IT consultant section. On the EDM Operator section, leave out the bullet points, you've got bullet point overload here. That and after reading through it twice, I still have no idea what the heck an EDM Operator even is! Just settle down and explain what you DO in LESS than 180 words. After you've trimmed it down a bit, ad short statement that summarizes your career thus far, highlighting your successes in whatever endeavors you have had success in. Put a little more YOU on your resume and less of what seems like a mechanical list some machine spat out.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    In this case, it might be appropriate to somehow leverage your experience with a certain field, and stretch that into your IT career.

For example, if you've done the work with CNC, you might want to seek out IT positions at manufacturers who utilize this type of equipment, as you'll be able to leverage how much you understand how their operations actually work.

... at least, that's how I see it, as a factor of leveraging your experience in an industry.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Move your skills and the education section above experience. And put more information under your Associate Degree in Computer Network Administration Certificates.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the input and suggestions. A fresh set of outside eyes can go a long way.

I do feel that some of my bullets are redundant and can be simplied to shorten it to the 1 page "recommended résume standard". I guess my intent was to try and get as much info as possible on it. Now that its pointed out the EDM Operator position is described as individual task as suppose to what I actually do.

Again thank you all. Now I'm off to an update.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DCD wrote: »
    Move your skills and the education section above experience. And put more information under your Associate Degree in Computer Network Administration Certificates.

This plus do you have any certs? I didn't see any. Maybe also add accomplishments to each employer.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+