Options

Best Book to Study from for CCNA?

yazmnh87yazmnh87 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm looking for peoples input as to what study book they think would be the best for the CCNA 640-802. I plan on getting a lab kit as well. Through looking so far I've seen that people regard the Sybex CCNA book pretty well. Anyone else have any better suggestions, Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You are going to get all kinds of different answers. I think it comes down to choosing one and going with it. The choice in my opinion comes down to choosing between Odom and Lammle. Odom will cover everything very deeply while Lammle is less so. Lammle's style is easier to read while Odom reads like a college text book.
  • Options
    I did buy the official Cisco certification books and realized those are not the way to go. I'll check out odom. I appreciate your post.
  • Options
    Oh the official Cisco Cert. books are by Odom, I'll go with Lammle then.
  • Options
    Would someone be able to pass CCNA just with this book and a lab kit, CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Deluxe Study Guide, (Includes 2 CD-ROMs): Todd Lammle: 9780470901083: Amazon.com: Books

Or would you need other literature to be able to study and pass?

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used Odom's Cert Library and thought they were a great read. I recommend it.
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    I tend to over analyze things and unless I get a thorough explanation of a particular subject I am left unsatisfied. Early in my preparations for CCENT I started to read Lammle's book and often found I had so many questions that were left unanswered after a section or chapter. I had to crack open Odom's book to answer these questions, so finally I went exclusively to Odom's book. Lammle keeps it more fun, and covers enough that you can pass CCENT (or CCNA in your case), but I preferred the depth that Odom's book went into.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Krjay: That is my problem as well. I get frustrated when I'm left wondering.
  • Options
    ItztalItztal Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Id say read both lammle and Odoms books...I am currently paring cbt nuggets with Odom
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When used together, there is no equal. I swear by Odom material personally.
  • Options
    speedy162005speedy162005 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Right now I'm using the Odom text. I have Lammle loaded up on my iPad and as soon as I finish Odom I'm going to start in on that.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm really enjoying Odom's ICND1 book.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    I preferred the layout and structure of the Odom books better. I used Odom books, CBT Nuggets and Chris Bryant videos. I suggest watching the videos and then reading.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm using the CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide 7th edition by Todd Lammle and it's a great book I find it very easy to read and understand for my CCENT/CCNA. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63