Options

Contemplating a move from InfoSec to Networking/Network Security....

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
I've been working in security for the past 5 years, primarily identity and access management. I also have another year and a half of more involved and varying security experience at my previous employer. During my year and a half with that employer I was the JOAT and did everything outside of programming and database stuff. I also did networking there as well. I got my AS degree in networking back in 2004 and that is what helped me get that first job which was my first IT job.

Fast forward to today, I love security but I miss networking and even more, I'm STILL intrigued by Cisco stuff as I never got into it at the first job. I still have a passion for networking and after I'm done with my CISSP, I plan on getting started on CCENT/CCNA, with plans to do CCNA:S.

One opinion I've formed after 5 years in security and learning about networking jobs from other folks and following jobs from the outside, it appears that the career path for networking is better defined and the path for advancement better defined as well. I've followed people here and elsewhere and people that I know personally and have worked with, and it seems you gain experience, learn more advanced technology and concepts either self study or on the job through work, get higher level certifications as you gain experience (CCNP/S/V, then eventually IE level or in design) and move up to a more advanced job, and continually keep advancing. I may be wrong on this but this is just my opinions. Feel free to chime in otherwise.

So I'm looking at diversifying a little bit with my studies and trying to break into networking, however starting at the very bottom of the totem pole in a NOC making 50-60% of what I do now won't cut it. If anyone has any thoughts on the feasibility of moving over into networking without getting knocked to the bottom and taking a massive pay cut or any advice on how to move over either to a mid level networking position utilizing a combination of past experience (1.5 years) and getting a CCNA, or moving into network security (after finishing my CISSP and getting CCNA:S) let me know know. Any feedback is welcomed. I'm also one who believes in not being too specialized and having at least one backup skill set for optimum career mobility and defense against unemployment.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework