Options

Data Backup Solution for Remote Staff

CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
Hello,

I searched through the posts, and could not find the what I was looking for.

Problem:

I need to find a way to backup user data (work related documents, pictures, etc) for my traveling staff.
I cannot rely of the user to connect via VPN, and copy files to their network shares on a regular basis. I would like a cloud solution to backup from the user's computer to our servers here. I've tested Carbonite and CrashPlan. Crashplan offers a solution to do this without backing up to actual cloud storage.

Has anyone had any luck with this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is there a reason you don't want to backup to their cloud? We use MozyPro at work and it has worked out great. All backups are completed automatically, we receive weekly reports on any failures, and updates are automatic. They encrypt all your data so you don't have to worry about that and you can restore through the web interface. We have about 80 users currently on it and it has been awesome.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    The Management wants to be able to access the users data at any time without using a web browser to view data and/or
    download it locally.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    The details are fuzzy (blame it on my Friday afternoon brain), but I swear MS has a built in way to synch files without a VPN connection (not offline files, either).

I want to call it Direct Access or something very similar. I looked at it about 3 years ago and never had the opportunity to pursue it, but I remember being impressed by the possibilities.

EDIT:
    I think this is it... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637827(v=ws.10).aspx
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...