Options

CISSP CPE Credits. Conferences. Group A or Group B? Zuh?

PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
The CPE guidelines are rather vague and simply state you use group A for Security Conferences and Group B for non Security Conferences. Well. Derr. But what really constitutes security vs non security?

I recently attended a SplunkLive conference and while I was there as a security professional and seeking security functionality of Splunk, I realize there are other things you can monitor with Splunk so it isn't solely a Security product. They said I could claim 7 CPEs for attending, but didn't specify which, and since I was there in a security capacity, i simply put it in as Group A, but now I'm second guessing it.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are unsure, you can always check with ISC2. They are actually pretty helpful. But what you described sounds like valid group A CPEs.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds security related to me. A quick email over to (ISC)2 would answer your question.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I look at how the product or service is targeted. For example, Splunk is advertised for use in an Information Security applications, so training in Splunk I would claim as Group A. In another example, a programming course that is not specifically advertised as related to security would be Group B.

At the end of the day, the (ISC)2 will make their own adjustments in your Group A/B classifications when they see fit, so I don't sweat it.