Options

Boston and Social Media

tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
So was I the only one that was cringing and getting a twitch watching, seeing, reading the events from the Boston Marathon up until the capture of the final suspect?

Bad info was going over police scanners that were not encrypted, the media latched on to this bad info on the first suspect who ended up being a high school student who ran track. Blogs, the media and social media was all over it blathering the misinformation everywhere.

Then detail after detail on what the police were doing as they monitored the final suspect as he hid in a boat. People are posting up to date info on where the police were going. I saw a picture that was geotagged showing the boat the guy was hiding in.

I mean if the next terrorist group that even has any sort of intelligence and planning is watching what happened, this was basically a "how to" class on how to evade and distract law enforcement.

I see this as an example of the government, law enforcement having issues dealing with the fast advancement of technology and the lack of common sense by the public when it comes to safety and security.

I need a beer......

Comments

• Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm curious as to who the third person was that got arrested, whether it's connected to this or not.
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was also surprised by the lack of secure communication, but, it seems key distribution would be a nightmare among so many agencies and the greater risk is that they can't talk to each other, rather then someone can overhear them. Some places are starting to use some encrypted channels for special police ops, but it seems full scale adoption of it is a ways off. Though after this, I think a lot of places are going to be taking another hard look at the options.