CPE Question - College Courses?

URG_PSH_FINURG_PSH_FIN Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Question for the group,

How do you count higher education courses for CPEs? I am scheduled to take two IS-related courses and wasn't sure how they would be counted in the CPE realm. In the CEH Delta System, 3-semester hour courses are 45 credits.

Any thoughts?
MS in Information Assurance - Regis University

2018 Goals - [ ] GSE Lab [ ] OSCP Enrollment
Late 2018-Early 2019 Goals: [ ] RHCSA [ ] RHCE

Comments

• webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In the CEH Delta System, 3-semester hour courses are 45 credits.

Not sure what you mean by this. icon_scratch.gif

If it is a training session, you count 1 CPE per hour of attendance.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • URG_PSH_FINURG_PSH_FIN Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For the CEH certification, they use the Delta system and ECEs (equivelant of CPEs for the CISSP). My question relates to a 3-semester hour college course. How do you count a college course in terms of number of CPEs? My courses are 8 weeks long, so I am not sure how to count them once I complete them.
    MS in Information Assurance - Regis University

2018 Goals - [ ] GSE Lab [ ] OSCP Enrollment
    Late 2018-Early 2019 Goals: [ ] RHCSA [ ] RHCE
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From the last time I checked the CPE guidelines off of (ISC)2 it was along the lines of:

1 CPE for each hour spend in class/online
    1 CPE for each hour of self study

I could be wrong but review the document or when in doubt send (ISC)2 an email for verification.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only time I claimed a college class for CPE was for my capstone class in Information Security. When I inquired, I was told to multiply the credit hour of the course with length of the semester: 3 hour course x 8 week semester = 24 hours. For CPE documentation purposes, I kept the class enrollment form, final exit/grade report and all class assignments.

I'm sure you could add CPE's for additional self-study time related to the class - but I didn't. I've not had any difficulty finding CPE opportunities out there...I'm know there is a comprehensive list of opportunities on other threads but the ones I typically use most are:

SANS webcasts
    ISACA virtual conferences
    Mandiant webcasts
    ISC2 Symposiums
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    You might have a look at: (ISC)2 CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION (CPE) POLICIES AND GUIDELINES

Specifically:

Completing a Higher Academic Course
    * One CPE credit is permitted for each hour spent in a class, or for online classes.
    * Credits will only be given on passing or successfully completing the course.
    * To qualify as a Group A credit, the course must be related to the credential domains. Otherwise it can be considered for a Group B credit.
  • lamont29lamont29 Member Posts: 27 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Official Answer:

 Completing a higher academic course - Group A or B creditOne CPE credit is permitted for each hour spent in a class, or for online class. Credits will only be givenon passing or successfully completing the course. To qualify as a Group A credit, the course must berelated to the credential domains. Otherwise it can be considered for a Group B credit.For example, the following method is used to derive the number of CPE hours allowed for attending atypical three-credit-hour semester course in a US college/university system. A typical semester is 16 weekslong. One-credit-hour is 50 minutes of class time per week. A student taking a three-credit-hour course in asemester system spends 2400 minutes (16 x 3 x 50) or 40 hours (2400 minutes ÷ 60 minutes) class timeduring the semester. When a member successfully completes a three-credit-hour semester course, he/she isallowed to claim 40 CPE credits for completing the course. If a college/university offers courses under adifferent system, the number of CPE credits allowed to be earned should be calculated based on the totalnumber of weeks the class covers, length of each class by hours and the hours per week the memberattends the class.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It should be noted that the official answer in 2018 was possibly not the official answer back in 2013 when the question was asked.