Options

Got this job posting in my email today

MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
Look at the preffered qualifications. Crazy.

Anyone want to goto Kabul?

Kabul Systems Virtualization Engineer Job - KAB

Comments

• Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LOL......

Why would any sensible person go to a country where some elements of the population are extremely motivated to kill you by any means necessary?
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Let me guess - $20 / Hour :)

That IS crazy .. Having said that - most silly ones are Preferred Qualifications ...

This advert is the best example of recruitment agencies not understanding the technology they are hiring for.

If being a VMware SME and a VCP is a requirement, then I am pretty sure this would cover the qualifications of "Vmotion, DRS, HA" ...

Copy / Paste buzzwords much ?

Oh and deployment of Windows 2013 ... ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am familiar with overseas pay uplifts. Take the base salary for this position and multiply that by 2.8, and that would be your annual. $$$
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    JustFred wrote: »
    LOL......

Why would any sensible person go to a country where some elements of the population are extremely motivated to kill you by any means necessary?

Money thats why!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am familiar with overseas pay uplifts. Take the base salary for this position and multiply that by 2.8, and that would be your annual. $$$

In my area, someone with this type of skillset can make $150k+. Using the 2.8 multiplier, you get $420k+. Not bad for 1 years work. Plus, the first ~$95k is tax free.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    The pay would be good. I don't know if it would be worth the area. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wonder if anyone from here will apply.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    In my area, someone with this type of skillset can make $150k+. Using the 2.8 multiplier, you get $420k+. Not bad for 1 years work. Plus, the first ~$95k is tax free.

You also have to be living outside of the USA for I believe 11 months out of the year.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    badrottiebadrottie Member Posts: 116
    There are a lot of ex-military folks (myself included) who do not balk at working in risky environments.

If you're young, have no dependents and are so inclined, why not? It would be good pay, great for the resume and a chance to make a difference.
  • Options
    This is true. I do something like this on the side for small villages in developing countries by helping here and there setting up PC's and it makes a world of a difference. Its something worthwhile.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    mogeekdadmogeekdad Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would want about 5 concrete bunkers surrounding me...then I would think about it. :)
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did 10 years of Military service If I wasn't married I would jump on one of these jobs in a heart beat my current company pays insane amounts of money to guys working in Africa on contract. allot of these guys are making 150K-200K because of the Danger of being over there.
    I knew one guy that stayed there for like 4 consecutive years , and used the money to start his own business.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wife agreed to let me go for a couple of years since it would pay off our student loans and the mortgage but it fell through a while back...I've been debating it for a while........
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    Blackout wrote: »
    I did 10 years of Military service If I wasn't married I would jump on one of these jobs in a heart beat my current company pays insane amounts of money to guys working in Africa on contract. allot of these guys are making 150K-200K because of the Danger of being over there.
    I knew one guy that stayed there for like 4 consecutive years , and used the money to start his own business.

Where in Africa and what exactly are they doing?
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Someone working with this type of skillset would be on a large cushy FOB with fast food joints and movie theaters, not on small shitty FOB's that I always got stuck on.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JustFred wrote: »
    Where in Africa and what exactly are they doing?
    Djibouti, and that's all I can say beyond that.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Apply, work for a couple of years and retire. Beats working 9-5 till 65.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sratakhin wrote: »
    Apply, work for a couple of years and retire. Beats working 9-5 till 65.

Amen to that ^^
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p