Options

Passed Security+ exam - SY0-301 - Test advice

techguyrvatechguyrva Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took the Security+ exam yesterday and passed with a score of 805/900.

A tip to anyone currently studying the exam: Be sure you know all the protocols and ports. The first 7 or 8 questions were nothing but drag and drop questions that made me configure a network with specific goals for each device. For example: Host A needs to only be able to reach Server A using a secure connection. The test made me type in what protocol and port number the protocol uses. The test wasn't a "walk in the park" experience by any means. I was expecting only multiple choice questions, but I was presented with different types of question formats throughout the exam.

I hope this information helps. I am now understanding why CompTIA recommends having the Network+ certification before attempting the Security+ certification.

Comments

• Options
    rscrtrscrt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Pass is a pass icon_thumright.gif I had only three performance based questions last week btw..
  • Options
    rscrt wrote: »
    Congrats! Pass is a pass icon_thumright.gif I had only three performance based questions last week btw..

That's weird...I wondering if a lot of my performance questions were beta??? Anyway, I didn't like them. Caused unwanted stress. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

What's next on the cert journey?
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    Thanks! Probably Network+. I feel that taking the Security+ exam before the Network+ exam was a mistake. Hopefully that will make the Network+ exam easier...

I eventually need to work towards Microsoft Certification. SO MUCH MONEY!!!
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

What's next on the cert journey?
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!
    Yeah, do Net+, there is some great material on that one.
    I always tell people that the cert that I learned the most while doing was probably the Net+.
  • Options
    teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    Congratulations!
    Yeah, do Net+, there is some great material on that one.
    I always tell people that the cert that I learned the most while doing was probably the Net+.
    I totally agree. The knowledge I gained from the Network+ certification is invaluable.
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D
  • Options
    teancum144 wrote: »
    I totally agree. The knowledge I gained from the Network+ certification is invaluable.

Totally agree I gained a great foundation of networking knowledge on theory, ports, protocols, and the OSI model :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    TechGirl#12TechGirl#12 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea, Net+ is a good CCENT introductory. If you are looking into going that route.
  • Options
    techguyrva wrote: »
    Thanks! Probably Network+. I feel that taking the Security+ exam before the Network+ exam was a mistake. Hopefully that will make the Network+ exam easier...

I eventually need to work towards Microsoft Certification. SO MUCH MONEY!!!

I know the feeling I have had to pay out of pocket for all my certifications but just remember it's an investment in your skills and knowledge and the better pay will come!! icon_cool.gif

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass.

The good news is that if you pursue the Network+, you'll find that there is some crossover so it might be easier. Good luck.
  • Options
    caine0001caine0001 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone,

Yes, I am new to this forum. But I have had my Net+ and A+ certs for about 8 years now. I am wanting to go ahead and get my Security+ certification now that I have gone back to school and finished my IT degree. I feel that it would round out my credentials really well. But I was wondering, since many of you have taken the Security Exam, and I have only taken practice exams, how do you think someone would do who has my certifications and a BS in Computer Information Technology focusing on Network Administration with a couple of Security classes and a couple of Forensics classes both at the Associates level and at the Bachelor's level? You all have a lot more knowledge of what to expect on a Security test than I do, so I am truly looking for an honest opinion from someone, please. I really appreciate it and if there is anything I can help you with feel free to let me know. Thank you.

BTW, I just discovered this site tonight but it looks like a great site and I can't believe I haven't run across it before. I was browsing through some post and noticed that there are some of you on here that really know your stuff. I hope that I can benefit from some of your experience and knowledge. Oh yeah, a big Congratulations to the OP for passing your Security+ exam. You must be feeling pretty good right now. I know I would be.
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you want to pass the Sec+ test, get Darril Gibsons book, take some practice exams. If you want in depth knowledge that can be useful and used, take the college courses, those seem to branch into specific fields you may be interested in.

Congrats on the Sec+, like you, I went backwards and got Sec+ before Net+. Net+ wasn't too bad, Sec+ was actually really easy for me compared to Net+.

Good luck on your MS certs, I am also pursuing those myself.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    caine0001caine0001 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have already got, its either 5 or 6 (I will have to look at my transcript) classes that were specifically Security and Forensics based. One was just Cryptography. Then I have over 2 decades of hands-on experience to go with it. And if I understand everybody correctly, the Security+ exam is not as hard as the Network+ exam. The Network+ exam was a breeze for me. So if I do some brushing up and a few more practice exams I should be ok? That makes me feel better. Right now I do a consistent 85-94% on the practice exams.

I appreciate the input. If anyone else has any wisdom to share, please do. I am all ears. I prefer to listen to everyone, even those who don't seem to know much because I feel there is something to be learned from every encounter. I know that don't apply to this forum. It seems everyone here is on their game and more knowledgeable than me, so I am especially anxious to hear from everyone I can here. Thank you again.