Options

A+, N+, S+ for free in Colorado

JKB123JKB123 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

Yes this is my first post but I have been reading the forums for a while now and you all seem like good peeps. I just wanted to let you know about a program I got accepted into where you can get the CompTIA trifecta for free in Colorado (not sure if other states offer this), it's called VWIP (veteran's workforce improvement program) and WIA (workforce improvement assistance???).

Obviously for the VWIP you have to be a veteran of the armed services, honorably discharged, and working towards a career in IT. I honestly don't know if there are other qualifications, if so they are minor. For WIA I'm pretty sure you have to be in a situation where you qualify for unemployment benefits and/or need to get your IT skills up to speed in order to become employable. Forgive my ignorance, I went for the VWIP.

The whole process took about a day at the Colorado Workforce Center in Denver. There is a short application, a short briefing, a computer based IT skills test, and then a decent amount of paperwork at the end. All in all it was pretty painless. I did not do very well on the IT skills test but then I found out you only need a 35% to pass so it's pretty forgiving. The reward for going through the red tape is a $6,000 grant to get A+, Network+, and Security+. Coming up in March I will be going through a 30 day bootcamp for all 3 starting with A+. The bootcamp is run by a company called LeaderQuest and when you are done with the training they help place you in an IT role (probably helpdesk but who knows?). Everything is paid for: training, books, exams, and even cost for transportation to and from the training location if you need it.

If anyone has any questions about this please feel free to ask. I am by no means an expert but I will try to help as much as I can. Overall I am excited and thankful for this opportunity even if they are not considered high-powered certs. Also, I have a B.S. in CIS and an M.A. in Energy Economics and I still got accepted into the program! It is not just for people with little/no education or experience. If you want it, go for it! icon_cheers.gif

Best of Luck,
JKB123

Comments

• Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Very good. Please do make sure they are not providing braindumps for those 30 days as there is much to cram in 30 days (a week per exam I am guessing?) . Is it instructor led classes and THEN a boot camp? Boot camps are for reviewing purposes ONLY.
    I can go on for hours on how braindumps are bad for you and the industry.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Sorry I may be misusing jargon. It is instructor led training, both classroom and labs. Training is 8 hours a day for 10 business days for A+, 8 hours a day for 5 business days for N+ and S+. Practice exams are logged and you must have 3 - 90% scores before they let you take the cert exam. I'm not sure if this would be considered "boot camp" style or not?
  • Options
    This is boot camp style. You are gonna have a bad time retaining so much information that is new to you. Hence this is why people use it as review.
    All too often, many bootcamps use braindumps. Its pretty much the death of IT certs. Let me show you a previous post I made in response to braindumps.
    What do you guy think about all the testing sites like Pass 4 sure , braindump, actualcert? Are any of them worth it?

Thanks and keep up the great post
    Chuck

This is known as cheating. These companies steal valid test engines and sell them for profit. Not only is it illegal, but it is also illegal to use. Getting caught using this method (either through obtaining the questions or by suspicion though a person or computer of finishing a test in an unrealisting time) can strip your certs and ban you from obtaining more.

Also, brain dumping as it is called will not let you learn nor retain any information as you are only memorizing questions and answers.

Do yourself a favor and study the material by yourself. Not only will you have the skills as an IT professional, but you will save yourself the awkward interview. There has been countless stories on this board of managers interviewing candidates with the simplest of questions only to find out that they cannot answer correctly and dumped the exams. IT requires some serious technical interviewing.

There has also been stories of new hires who are so incompetent within the first days of a new job that they are looking for a new job the following week. Don't let this be you! Many small, shady IT "training" companies will take your money and provide you with **** with no care on whether you find a job let alone keep one with invalid skills.

Just today I met someone who claims they are studying for their CCNP Security and didnt know what a friggin crossover cable was!!!

Legitimately obtaining your certs is what will set you apart from incompetent so called "professionals" and will also reward you in the long run.

Its all about knowing your ****, not cheating it.

I'm not saying that LeaderQuest uses braindumps, but if its a bootcamp and they push you to pass a cert exam ONLY after 5 days of study, most likely they are using them.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    I am not sure about the format either. I definitely do not want to disparage the program because I haven't been through it, but I will try to keep this post updated as I go through the training so everyone can draw their own conlusions. In the meantime I will keep studying and striving so I can realize my goal of someday becoming an IT professional.

Thanks for your input Cisco Inferno, the heads up about braindumps is much appreciated! I definitely want to learn more than I want a cert!
  • Options
    In the meantime, grab some textbooks and check out professormesser.com
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to forums JKB123. Congrats on getting accepted to the program and good luck.

I don't know anything about LeaderQuest directly but there are many reputable training companies that provide training in a format using eight-hour days and five-day weeks. Some people call them bootcamps but for me, an eight-hour day doesn't remind me of my Navy bootcamp days. I was a military instructor for many years in the Navy teaching computer and electronics courses and we often used this same eight-hour day, five-day week format and students excelled.

Some other IT bootcamps are scheduled as 12-14 hour days and from what I've been told they are more likely to use the brain **** that Cisco Inferno is talking about.

A program that is checking your progress on practice exams, and ensuring you have at least three scores of 90% does not sound like a program that is using brain **** though.

In contrast, a similar program could be taught in a college format with two four-hour sessions a week finishing anywhere from 16-20 weeks later. I'm thinking you'll like to be employed much sooner then four to five months from now so this sounds like a great program to help people gain some knowledge and get into the workforce.

Combined with your B.S. in CIS, you should do great. However, as Cisco Inferno has mentioned, it would be worth your time to do some preparation before you get to class. You can probably get A+, Network+, and Security+ books for about $100 total.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Hi Darril, thanks for the input. I was in the Marine Corps for 12 years so I love the Navy, especially Corpsman! I was an electronics technician (MOS 2818, 2862) while I was enlisted. I did my electronics training in the same format you described in the Navy and I think it worked well for me personally. My CIS degree is dated (2003) so I am hoping to update my education in hopes of getting back into the IT world. I look forward to the upcoming challenges and will definitely take your advice and Cisco Inferno's advice to prepare ahead of time. Thanks again!
  • Options
    If you want some books, I'm sure Darril can vouch for these.

For your A+, get this
    Amazon.com: CompTIA® A+® Training Kit (Exam 220-801 and Exam 220-802) (Comptia a+ Training Kit) (9780735662681): Darril Gibson: Books

For your Network+, wait a couple of weeks for this
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/network/88449-darrils-new-network-book.html

And for your Security+, get this. I am reading it right now and everyone who studies Sec+ highly suggests it
    CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide: Darril Gibson: 9781463762360: Amazon.com: Books

Darril has a great writing style, you wont regret it.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Good deal, thanks for the heads up. I will definitely add these to my reading list. If I want to ask for advice on a cert path after the CompTIA trifecta should I start a new thread in a different forum or just keep this thread running? I'm not trying to get ahead of myself but if things go well with Leaderquest I need to plan my cert path now so I can make sure to get into the training classes.
  • Options
    What interests you? There are many paths to take after you pay your dues doing something general for a year or two. All lead towards the big bucks.

You'll touch different areas of study in your CompTIA exams.
    Such "specializations" include:
    Networking (Cisco Routing and Switching)
    Servers (Microsoft Server 08 or Red Hat Linux infrastructures) --> this can lead into Virtualization which is a hot subject right now.
    Wireless (Long range radio and Lasers!)
    Security (very in demand, either defensive such as firewalls to offensive such as ethical hacking and vulnerability testing)
    Voice (VOIP and video)
    Databases (Microsoft SQL and Oracle)

all of these "areas" in IT have their own levels of expertise. There are many different certs to gain in each realm to prove your knowledge.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    The option, as it stands right now, is to either go for the Windows 7 cert and then continue on to MCSA training or start the Cisco path. Both training programs start shortly after the CompTIA training so I have to choose one to do first. I am leaning toward the Cisco training but at my age I want to be pragmatic with regard to opportunity and salary. I also have over 4500 hours of project management experience from my time in the military and as an industrial sales engineer so they have mentioned the PMP cert as a good capstone.

To be honest, one of my main concerns is getting these certifications too quickly and ending up in a position where I look good on paper but can't back it up in the workplace. I do not mind paying my dues but I also don't want to outgrow my position too quickly. It is a delicate balance and I definitely appreciate all of the input and opinions. I cope with information.
  • Options
    @JKB123, I was a CTM which is very similar to an electronics technician.

This site has multiple forums and you'll probably get the best responses if you post different threads in the related forums as you move forward. For example, this forum is primarily for people starting out with CompTIA certs with an A+ cert so this thread is perfect here. There are also Network+ and Security+ forums and people pursuing those certifications will monitor those forums, but not necessarily this A+ forum. The same goes for Cisco and Microsoft cert forums. Overall, you'll find a lot of people very willing to help.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Darril nice to see such a helpful veteran. I also was in the Navy. I was stationed in Norfolk then Kittery, ME. Sub guy here though. Can't wait for your new Network+ book btw.

@JKB123 these boot camps are from what I was told are really used as a refresher and there goal is to normally help the people who come in with a good understanding to pass the required exams. Usually if you read more into their website, you might find the success rates of people who come in with knowledge, with no knowledge and see how they do on the exams after training.

Like everyone has said, I would buy a few books one for each test and start studying now. If you have working knowledge already then use these books as an extra study tool. More information never hurts.
  • Options
    I couldn't agree with you guys more. I will try to keep this thread updated as the training starts but that isn't for a couple of weeks so I might just start a new thread on that topic. My goal (besides certification) will be to provide a comprehensive review on the LeaderQuest training program in the event that other folks are interested in using their services. Thanks again for all the input, I look forward to future dialogue and celebrating everyone's success!
  • Options
    The best thing you can do for yourself is get a head start, watch free videos and take plenty of notes. I think it'll give you an advantage during training. Some pre-knowledge would allow you to engage in discussions and questions with your instructors and classmates more easily therefore allowing you to retain much more information.

Regardless of what path and certifications you choose after A+>N+>S+, the knowledge will give you a great foothold as well as apply to future certs.

I myself am planning to continue to CCNA after I finish my last comptia exam. Then I'm moving to MCSA for 2008, beginning with the Network Infrastructure exam(70-642). The knowledge of CCNA theory carries over nicely. So yea, I'll be a little well rounded for a while before I myself go deeper in either of those technologies. I'm am steering towards Cisco though, but who knows.

Good luck.

ps. Welcome to the forums. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Whether it be certification guidance, workplace guidance, or even a paragraph in your text book you need help understanding, we'll be happy to help. Good Luck
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I received a call from Microtrain about WIA(Workforce Investment Act) a couple of weeks ago and I wasn't too sure about it. I may have to look in to this as this would be ideal for me to begin my career in IT.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    I'm not sure what all the stipulations are regarding the program, but if you have the time for the training and inclination to get these certs it may be worth your while. I'm pretty sure with the program I applied to I have to go to a bootcamp-type training program. I believe the reasoning behind it is that the state wants to see a return on investment (~$6000) in the form of entry-level skilled IT professionals and not all of us are capable of efficient and sufficient self study. Good luck in your search!
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I talked to a rep and she told me that you either must be unemployed and receiving benefits and/or receiving assistance. I didn't fall in to that category for WIA so it looks like I'll be obtaining my certs the old fashioned way. Good program for someone who qualifies.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    Good info for the WIA, thanks for posting!
  • Options
    dj_kenshindj_kenshin Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wish I would have known this when I was back in Colorado. Great information though! I'm a 10 year vet from the Navy. I was a Fire Controlman so I worked on electronics just like you guys did also. Good luck with your studies. I'm working on my Sec+ right now and I'm about to start your book Darril!
  • Options
    Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to give a quick update on the training that I am going through. It is pretty intensive and hands-on. We are not learning "brain ****" but actually learning material and then doing labs with what we learned. The approach of "lecture then lab" is very helpful and reinforces all of the material we are covering. I just finished up 2 weeks of A+ training and it was great. I feel confident that when I go to take my A+ I will be able to draw on the lessons taught/concepts learned and not just a bank of memorized questions. I will be sure to post with my test results but do not know when I'm going to take the exam yet.

Today we "officially" start N+. An interesting side note, every morning since day 1 in A+ we have been learning and practicing subnetting. The instructor is hell-bent on making sure we can all subnet in our heads without a calculator. I didn't even know what a subnet was before this class but now I can look at an IP address with CIDR and break it down based on number of networks and hosts needed. Converting decimal to binary and hex to binary in the octets to get the increment value was daunting at first but it's pretty wild when it "clicks". I'm sure this is very basic to most of you but it's extremely exciting for me personally. I hope the new skill will make N+ and the eventual CCNA a little easier. Enough rambling, if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them in a timely manner.
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Keep us informed. Sounds like you are getting some good information out of it.
  • Options
    dj_kenshindj_kenshin Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you Darril!!
    Keep it up JKB!
  • Options
    way to go. sounds like a great program.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Just wanted to give a quick update that I passed both the 801 and 802 on Saturday. On to Network+ and Security+.
  • Options
    Congrats on the pass. Good luck with the Network+ and Security+ certs.