Options

RTP in EIGRP

DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
Just been reading through my old notes and came across this, my notes are very vague and having difficult to understand what i read on the internet.

So RTP - Reliable Transport Protocol is a method of guaranteed, ordered packet delivery to all the neighbours with mixed unicast and multicast packets.

I get this statement but... what is it really?

Is it all the packets used in communication in eigrp including the Hello's, the Acks, the updates? or is it just used when a router is not responding to a hello sent to multicast 224.0.0.10???

Is it just the Query and reply packets?

Can some please dumb this down for me please i cant get my head round it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    RTP is just a way for packets to be sent reliably. There are sequence and acknoledgment bits set in the packets so they can be tracked. Hellos and Acks aren't sent reliable.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    RTP is just a way for packets to be sent reliably. There are sequence and acknoledgment bits set in the packets so they can be tracked. Hellos and Acks aren't sent reliable.

so is RTP just the 'query' and 'reply' packets?

I read that if a router doesnt respond to a hello, a unicast is sent and is sent up to 16 times, if no response after 16 the neighbor is clased as dead. Is this process parts of the RTP process??
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You will probably understand better by taking a look at a packet capture of EIGRP communication.

RTP is just the sequencing used in EIGRP communication. You will see certain packets (the ones sent reliably) have sequence numbers within the EIGRP data portion and the other router responds with the appropriate acknowledgement number. It's basically like a TCP implementation without the window sizing. Just helps keeps things ordered.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Ok cool, I will check out a packet capture tomorow cheers again
  • Options
    DANMOH009 wrote: »
    Ok cool, I will check out a packet capture tomorrow cheers again

I get it now, wow i was really over confusing things.

So it just basically the method of sequencing used with the update, query and reply packets.

Cheers Networker