Options

2 month process = no job

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
There was a similar TE post recently... you are not alone my friend...

in February I applied online for a job for one of the big 4 cell companies... Working at a cell site, doing networking stuff... I had to fill out online stuff, HR phone interview, Manager phone interview, 2 managers face to face interview, and then two separate meetings with Technical Leads..

then many phone calls and emails later, it was down to two people.. and I came in at #2

Now I cant remember who the other poster was, but I know they only got a form email, I did at least get a direct phone call and about a 30 minute explanation..

but it still stucks..

After so many meetings and phone calls, you just start to assume you got this... and then when it's confirmed you do not in fact "got this" .... it's pretty brutal

edit to add: the #1 pick had direct experience in a similar role, so I understand why they chose that guy... but that doesnt mean I have to like it
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's awful. It sucks. It reflects poorly on the company. However, this is exactly why you never stop looking just because you're in the middle of the interviewing process for something you're sure about. Keep applying and interviewing every day until you've signed an employment agreement or at least received a verbal offer.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yeah it sucks, but it happens. Look at the bright side though, that guy might come in and suck it up or decide the job isn't for him. You will probably be the first person they call.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Tough luck but don't be down. I had to look for almost 3 months before I found the right one. It will eventually come but until it does, it seems like forever and the process is awful - one day feels like one month.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah it sucks, but it happens. Look at the bright side though, that guy might come in and suck it up or decide the job isn't for him. You will probably be the first person they call.

That's what I was thinking. OP should let them know that if a similar opportunity comes up, you'd be interested.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    That is how I got my current job. I was in a month or so of interviews and was bested by someone with direct experience. I sent a thank you letter to the person who called me and let me know, and included that I still have a high interest if something comes along.

Two weeks later, they called me and asked if I could come in for an interview on a different position. Skip ahead 7 months and here I sit. It sucks, but at least they called. Hopefully they told you things that you can work on. I would be sure to thank them again and let them know you still have an interest. IT jobs open up quick or maybe he won't work out. Either way, cannot hurt to put it out there.
  • Options
    Hopefully they told you things that you can work on. I would be sure to thank them again and let them know you still have an interest..

Actually it was full of compliments and he told me numerous times he wanted to hire me, just said that guy had direct experience and could hit the ground running, whereas I'd have to train. And he said he expects to have another position open before the end of the year and I'd be the top choice...

So I do hope that is the case, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I sent the guy a LinkedIn request and I will follow up with a thank you letter, thanks for the suggestions
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    Lesson of the day:

Never put all your eggs in one basket.
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    What a difference a day makes... well... two days, but whatever

I had an early interview today that I didn't expect much from, but I really liked the company, and it seems like something I would really like. When I came out of the interview I had a follow up on a DoD job in my inbox and an email from an ISP about a Network Engineer job. They wanted to get the ball rolling, started the security clearance application. But when I was on my way there, I got a call for a Network Admin job for another company and they wanted me to interview right away...

crazy I was down, and I am back up again
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cross your fingers
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Mike-Mike why are you not applying for Security Analyst Position the pay is better even for entry level...
  • Options
    nestech wrote: »
    @Mike-Mike why are you not applying for Security Analyst Position the pay is better even for entry level...

I dont really see a lot posted here, i do look though, I have an indeed app and check it daily.. I did get an interview for one in the 100k range that was above my level of knowledge.. didn't fair too well, but didn't really expect to..
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You might need to move... I had to do that just to get the experience for 8 month and I just got a new job with $17000 increase in pay...
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Knoxville is a dead zone. I'm kinda worried about making a big move though. D:
  • Options
    There are lots of jobs in Louisville, just not a lot of infosec that I have seen
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    TCainnnTCainnn Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    What a difference a day makes... well... two days, but whatever

I had an early interview today that I didn't expect much from, but I really liked the company, and it seems like something I would really like. When I came out of the interview I had a follow up on a DoD job in my inbox and an email from an ISP about a Network Engineer job. They wanted to get the ball rolling, started the security clearance application. But when I was on my way there, I got a call for a Network Admin job for another company and they wanted me to interview right away...

crazy I was down, and I am back up again
    Sometimes in life we must fail in order to succeed. You should never keep your head down after something didn't go as planned. The best thing to do is keep your head up and keep moving forward. I noticed with myself that when I keep a negative mindset nothing good happens. One day I felt like giving up on looking for a job. The next day I woke up with a positive mindset and get a phone call for 2 positions with 1 of them interested in hiring me. Things will get better but you can't lose faith!
    "Excuses are for the weak. Overcoming is for the strong"
  • Options
    xe3tecxe3tec Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

for my job I risked 2 other and it took me 4 months of waiting
    Goal 2013: CCNA, CCNA Security
  • Options

I had an early interview today that I didn't expect much from, but I really liked the company, and it seems like something I would really like.

This company loved me and offered me a job, but we were way too far off in the money department. I liked them so much I thought about the absolute lowest I could take, which would just be a lateral move, and they were still about 10k under that

They were willing to put a lot of faith around me and I would be a major player in the IT department there, but they are a small company and their IT side is still in the growth stage, but i just cant afford it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    xe3tec wrote: »
    I risked 2 other and it took me 4 months of waiting

Did that a few times .. One interview of a job went really well and I risked two other good offers. At the end they asked me for a decision - I declined (because job A was so good) and ended up with nothing ... but kudos :)
    we were way too far off in the money department.

Been there too - a local company offered me £25k (that's British Pounds) for my current job I got £55k for ...At the push their senior partner agreed to £30k - but still a whole person's wage off the total ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow 'had direct experience and could hit the ground running' was something I got told the other week... Difficult to break in to the industry!