Options

How's Atlanta?

Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
From anyone in Atlanta, what has your experience been like getting a IT job there? Do you think it's worth moving there?
:study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They have jobs there, as in any big city. It's worth moving there if you have an opportunity and like the area. :)

(I am not in Atlanta, but I know several people in IT doing well over there.)
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The reason I mention Atlanta is because it's not to far (5 hours). One guy told me I should try there.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    its hot and the traffic will make your eyes want to bleed

but for jobs its not bad
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Traffic is rediculous. Plenty jobs though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Network_EngineerNetwork_Engineer Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tons of high paying IT jobs. I received a 30% pay increase moving from Tampa to Atlanta.
  • Options
    9nine99nine9 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I too am interested in moving here with hopes of a better paying job.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Aside from the traffic, it's a pretty fun place to visit. As long as you're willing to take a chance on a move, you probably won't be making the wrong choice. I did something similar in moving to Charlotte, 58% increase in base pay, so if you're in one of those horribly underpaid cities, it would certainly help.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would only move there if I had a job offer. Then leave after I get my experience.
    Once I get my CCNA I will expand my search to the continental United States. Except for places where the cost of Living is just outrages.

California, New Jersey, New YOrk, you get the idea.

Traffic is Gridlock. A 15 minute drive takes 45 minutes during rush Hour.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    Plop me living somewhere around Piedmont Park, and I'll be happy to drive a little extra during the week to be able to walk to a ton of places on the weekend.
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you think Atlanta traffic is bad then don't ever move to the DC area hahaha.
  • Options
    @bobloblaw Anything is better than Memphis, and I say that having lived there for 8 years before finally getting out.
  • Options
    nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The ATL is great. I love it here and there are a ton of IT jobs out here. And the women... WOW... Life is good....
  • Options
    bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    Hypntick wrote: »
    @bobloblaw Anything is better than Memphis, and I say that having lived there for 8 years before finally getting out.

I wouldn't necessarily say anything. Jonesboro, Jackson, Little Rock, Montgomery, etc. There's a laundry list of crap cities in the south, but..... yeeeeeeeeeah... I gotta go. It's IT death and the pay is garbage. Only thing I'll regret about leaving is my place downtown. View is silly. Anywhere I go I'll have to pay 3-5x the amount. Oh well. Worth it. I've done everything there is to do here. Regardless, GO GRIZZ!

@nestech - secondededed on the females. It's silly in Atlanta. Silly, I tell you. Another thing about big markets (Atlanta, Chicago, NY, Boise) is the concerts that roll through. Basically everything comes through.

Also, if you're just checking out markets to live for IT. Check out Austin, TX.
  • Options
    datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Having lived many places in the world and U.S., I have often-times said "I have at least one more geographic move in me". Hotlanta had been on my list of possible re-locations, however I wouldn't make that move unless I had a firm job offer, with a decent amount of money on the table.
  • Options
    broli720 wrote: »
    If you think Atlanta traffic is bad then don't ever move to the DC area hahaha.

DC is pretty damn bad, but ATL is top ten too. I don't like driving in either.
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow,didn't know it was a few people from Atlanta on the board...should have known...lol. ATL is cool luckily , my commute isn't bad at all (20-25 mins)....this is only good if you stay away from Alpharetta and the heart of downtown, then you are golden...traffic can be a bear in those areas although countless opportunities in those areas from my job search. Nice city coming from a nativeicon_wink.gif HOTLANATA!icon_thumright.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    Would you deal with a bad commute for an extra $25-50,000 a year?
  • Options

Depends, I know that 25K would be more like 17K or so after taxes and the time and gas is also a factor since I would have to leave earlier. I could see making the commute for 40K though.....and then I'd try to eventually get a day or two from home...lolicon_lol.gif

What area are you in?

• Options
    Woodstock --> Buckhead commute. I start early in the morning and beat the rush hour. Commute is double on the way home.
  • Options

For $50k I'd just move closer.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    @bobloblaw
    @Hypntick

Check out Knoxville / Oak Ridge if you want to get the shaft in terms of pay and opportunity. Helpdesk is about the only thing around and the average pay is 28 - 35K. It is a joke.
  • Options
    @about7narwhal I was doing full on sysadmin type work, server build and deploy, network and firewall management, virtualization projects etc. Was pulling in an amazing 42k in Memphis. In Charlotte, i'm doing similar work, mid 70's, with a minimal jump in cost of living. I'm thinking TN just sucks overall.
  • Options
    wrwarwickwrwarwick Member Posts: 104
    The traffic does suck in general, but just like anywhere, you can get lucky and have a short commute. I just started a new gig in the heart of downtown (right on Peachtree Street) and luckily I live about a 7 minute drive up the street, in midtown.
  • Options
    wrwarwick wrote: »
    The traffic does suck in general, but just like anywhere, you can get lucky and have a short commute. I just started a new gig in the heart of downtown (right on Peachtree Street) and luckily I live about a 7 minute drive up the street, in midtown.

Thats quite nice. I'd be good when I can find a remote gig, then it would be even sweeter!

I think we need to get a meetup for TE peeps in Atlanta....didn't know it was quite a few ATLiens on here icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

• Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    My company has an office there. It's a decent city IMO. The traffic sucks...and I'm a big fan of public transit but I don't care for MARTA.
  • Options
    trilomtrilom Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    @about7narwhal I was doing full on sysadmin type work, server build and deploy, network and firewall management, virtualization projects etc. Was pulling in an amazing 42k in Memphis. In Charlotte, i'm doing similar work, mid 70's, with a minimal jump in cost of living. I'm thinking TN just sucks overall.

What company if you don't mind me asking? I live in Asheville, and would make the jump to Charlotte for mid 70's