Options

Just signed offer for First IT job......

CCIE Wanna BeCCIE Wanna Be Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
I will be working as a a Help Desk Analyst in the IT Solutions Department for a large company.

*Excellent benefits
*Good salary (though by switching careers I had to take cut in pay, but it will be well worth it)
*Don't have to relocate
*Lots of room for advancement within the company

I'm super excited:D, glad I learned the secret handshake!

I thinks it's time for a celebratory drink!
In Progress:
WGU B.S. - I.T. - Security (and all the certs that come with it)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Looks like a great start.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and goodluck!!
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
  • Options
    9nine99nine9 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @CCIE Wanna Be - congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    Thanks, I feel very fortunate to have landed this as my first IT job, very, very fortunate!
    In Progress:
  • Options
    @CCIE Wanna Be - what's your general geographic location? Are there lots of entry-level jobs in your area?
  • Options
    mworwellmworwell Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Learn as much as you can.
  • Options
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @CCIE Wanna Be - what's your general geographic location? Are there lots of entry-level jobs in your area?

I'm in Houston and I would say that there are more positions than people to fill them in this region, but it all boils down to what a perspective employer is looking for. I was lucky, because they saw my potential even though I have no previous on-the-job IT experience.
    In Progress:
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats!I suppose you will cert up and once you have a little experience - move up?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    I'm in Houston and I would say that there are more positions than people to fill them in this region, but it all boils down to what a perspective employer is looking for. I was lucky, because they saw my potential even though I have no previous on-the-job IT experience.

@CCIE Wanna Be - thanks for the heads up! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Damn, people should stop showing the secret handshake ... No wonder it gets harder to advance :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    HectorPHectorP Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! The hardest thing about switching careers, aside from even finding an entry-level position, is taking a cut in pay. I recently switched also. I agree, it will be well worth it in the end. Congrats again and best of luck!
  • Options
    ITdude84ITdude84 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    @Everyone-Thanks!, this forum has done only positive things for me in my pursuit of a new career

@Ivanjam-You're welcome

@jibbajabba-Don't worry, I signed the NDA

@Master of Puppets-Certainly will, I'm already working towards my CCNA-R&S, then on to Voice, plus I start WGU in July for the Net Admin track.
    In Progress:
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Congratulations, and best of luck. Let us know how it goes after you have been there for some time. I love hearing success stories.
  • Options
    SgtBOOMSgtBOOM Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, CCIE Wanna Be! Like others said, be a sponge at this new job. Learn as much as you can, ask as many questions as possible, and show people you are interested in learning. Also, be proactive at your new job and try to show initiative. That, along with hitting those certs hard, and you should have no problem moving up.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Enjoy the ride and learn learn learn.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    Congratz!!!

Learn. Learn. Learn. I enjoy my job and I'm currently working as a Network Technician. Soon I will be working towards Network Administrator after getting my CCNA :) and eventually my MCSA(windows Server). I already have 410 done ;)
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats and blessings on the journey!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, but do you have a degree and any other certs besides A+ and Net+?
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on new job!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, but do you have a degree and any other certs besides A+ and Net+?

Yes, I have a bachelors but in a non-IT field, that why I'm attending WGU starting in July, and those are currently my only certs. I do however have a 1 year certificate in Network Administration from my local CC
    In Progress: