Options

lammle or odom for ccent book?

chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
I only want to use one, which one would you recommend?

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I personally used Lammle's book and thought it was fantastic.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This questions has been asked before. Try searching the forum. I'm currently using Odom's book for the CCNA and I used Lammle's for the CCENT. Lammle doesn't go as deep as Odom, so at times I did dig into Odom's book to get a more thorough understanding.
  • Options
    dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    I'm personally using the CCENT for dummies book and have ordered the Lammle CCNA 7th edition book.
    I have Odoms as well but I'm not a fan personally.
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
  • Options
    kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have both. I enjoy the writing style of Lammie's book, and use that as my primary resource. As the above posters have said, he does not go into great detail on topics. With that, I will hop over to Odom's book to get a more in-depth explanation on things.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just finished Odom's ICND1/ICND2 books. Would there be any value in reading Lammle's?
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    I cant see how reading things from a different angle cannot help to be honest
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
  • Options
    showboshowbo Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get both. I read Lammle front to back, then if I passed Odom's pre-chapter quiz I would skim that chapter and move on.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I recommend Todd Lammle's CCNA book I like how it's written better overall just my personal preference. I find it easier to read, understand, and more enjoyable. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    Lammle's book hands down.
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    I feel like I'm the only one on these forums that acutally liked Odom's book...

With that said: OP, I liked Odom's book for CCENT and CCNA. His subnetting chapters I thought were over-complicated so I'd look else where to get that material. Everything else seemed straight-forward and clear to me!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    my vote goes to ODOM... I passed my CCENT with great scores and I read Odom's 3rd edition.
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
    Current working on: VCAP5-DCA
  • Options
    robert.holtonrobert.holton Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i havent read the Odom edition but I have read the Lammle and Richard Deal. Both have their pro's and cons.

Lammle has a smooth writing style. Easy for foundation knowledge.
    Richard Deal was more detailed.

i found reading both was a great way to fill in gaps both books left.

oh I plan on re-taking the CCNA next week.... failed 1st time with 801.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I always recommend the Odom books. They may not be the most entertaining read, but if you take the time to read and understand them from cover to cover you will learn everything you need not only to pass the CCNA exam, but also to understand low level networking in general. I had been doing networking for almost four years before I read Odom's books and still learned so much I realized just how little I actually knew. That is what caused me to delve so much deeper into the world of learning and certifications.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.