Options

Follow up/thank you email. Is this over the top?

z3r0coolz3r0cool Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was looking for some basic guidelines for a follow up/thank you email so I don't look like a schmoe with the same old same old. I came across an older post on here from some that used prezi.com for a quick follow up presentation. I made one that I hope would convey some creativity and make me stick out a bit more. I'm waffling on sending it though; I don't want to come off too strong. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Something short and simple should suffice. I'm not so sure I would send a a "prezi" though... On another note, I see you have your location listed as Va Beach... I work in that city!
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    The goal of the letter is to ensure you are remembered. Long enough to say the interview has renewed your interest in the position and say thanks, but not so long that the reader is scanning to find the point of it all.
  • Options
    z3r0coolz3r0cool Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Something short and simple should suffice. I'm not so sure I would send a a "prezi" though... On another note, I see you have your location listed as Va Beach... I work in that city!

Yeah, after thinking about it, it's a little much. I'm not going to use it, I just thought it might be memorable.

Do you work for DoD? I'm guessing you live elsewhere?
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Everything I've read about thank-you emails says that you should "restate your interest in the position." It makes me think that the true purpose of a thank-you email is to politely tell the company "Hey, I'm still waiting for your response."
  • Options
    @Michael2,

Ideally you would have the email out the next business day, so "still" waiting might not be quite right. But the idea is there, I am still interested in working for you after the interview has concluded.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I was going to post a similar question....

i normally write a thank you letter in Word and then attach it to an email, but what if you know you're going to have multiple interviews with the same company?

do you send a thank you every time?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had 9 interviews last fall, the only 2 I received an offer for were the ones I followed up with a thank you letter.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You never know though .. Two friends of mine are recruiter in a big tech company and they both told me that THEY don't care about thank you emails / follow up emails .. Their reasoning : "If your interview was good enough and we remember you then there is no need to remind us"
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A presentation would strike me as over-the-top. You should be impressing them with your knowledge, credentials, and soft skills during the interview. IMHO, the best thank-you note is short, to the point, and sincere.
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    do you send a thank you every time?

I too am unsure on this one. I usually send the thank you to whoever would be my direct boss. In most cases that is whoever you meet with in the first interview. They would be the one to pass you onto your second round.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    z3r0cool wrote: »
    Yeah, after thinking about it, it's a little much. I'm not going to use it, I just thought it might be memorable.

Do you work for DoD? I'm guessing you live elsewhere?
    I was working DoD in Norfolk (HellDesk work) about a year ago. Not anymore. Now I am doing System Administration in the private sector. I come from Hampton though.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens