Options

Intellectual property

chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
Acording to wikipedia: Intellectual property (IP) is a legal concept which refers to creations of the mind for which exclusive rights are recognized.

Have you ever been in the position to deliver a document (design, business proposal, financial analysis or whatever) where you've worked day and night and then your boss take credit for the idea.

I made a document with the result of a financial analysis department regionally and proposed a number of ideas to revolutionize the budget of the company, discuss with various department heads and all agree. Now we have to present the idea to the board but my boss wants to do it without me he wants me to remove the name of the creator of the document and leave it in a modifiable document.

I don't like the idea, i don't know how to proceed on this case.

Comments

• Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    chmod wrote: »
    Acording to wikipedia: Intellectual property (IP) is a legal concept which refers to creations of the mind for which exclusive rights are recognized.

Have you ever been in the position to deliver a document (design, business proposal, financial analysis or whatever) where you've worked day and night and then your boss take credit for the idea.

I made a document with the result of a financial analysis department regionally and proposed a number of ideas to revolutionize the budget of the company, discuss with various department heads and all agree. Now we have to present the idea to the board but my boss wants to do it without me he wants me to remove the name of the creator of the document and leave it in a modifiable document.

I don't like the idea, i don't know how to proceed on this case.

I am not a lawyer but I am pretty sure since the company paid you to create the document it is not your intellectual property.

I would express your concern about getting recognized for all of the work you put in but leave it at that. I would possibly take further action depending on where this goes but for now I would leave it alone.

Leaving it as a modifiable document makes plenty of sense, the board may want to make changes based on information you may not be privy to.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm with MikeB. My employers policies specifically state that they own all work product as have almost all of my previous employers. Discuss your concerns with the appropriate people but in the end the company generally owns the work product.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management