Options

Degree Advice

silverp1silverp1 Member Posts: 124
Hi guys,
I was looking for some advice regarding my degree path. I currently hold both an A.S. in Business Administration and a B.S. in Business Administration (Management). I am looking to get some sort of IT credential (beyond certs). I've worked at a help desk now for about 6 months and I'm looking to get a strong set of credentials that will allow me to move up the network admin path.

I'm studying for my CCENT and I plan to take the CCNA after that, but besides this, I do not currently have any certifications. I have a decent history of working with computers, I tutor in C++ and Java and a good portion of my coursework for the aforementioned degrees included IT related topics (networking, system design & analysis, programming).

So, the decision I'm looking for advice on is whether or not to seek a second Bachelor's or skip that and go right for a Master's. I'm looking at the BSIT Network Admin and MSIT Network Admin at WGU. I like the BS because it will include several certifications that I don't have and, coupled with the BS its self, it sounds like the program would build up some pretty decent entry credentials. The MS looks like a good program, but I'm not sure if that is valued as much as the certs, etc. in the IT world. Are there many positions that require a Master's? Will not having one hold me back in the future? (Granted, I'm not necessarily ruling out ever pursuing a Master's level degree). Also, I'm kind of worried that the BS will cover a lot of stuff I've already done - has anybody else felt this way after they started the program?

Thanks for your input!
Certs: CCENT, CCNA:R&S
Working on: MCITP:SA
Goals: CCENT (ICND1) [Done], CCNA (ICND2) [Done], MCITP:SA

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    If you're going to do WGU, then I advise the MBA IT Management first, then second, the M.S. IT Network Management.

You've pretty much decided what certifications you want to get, so don't muddy the waters with anything else.

I say this specifically because your undergrad is business administration, and you say that you want to "move up". Pairing a MBA with your credentials may have more long term value to you than just getting a skilled degree to go along with your toolset.

I must caution you that if you already tutor C++ and Java, you might not learn much doing the B.S. IT Security at WGU. (considering you already have a B.S. level degree already, it also can't provide an appreciable "bump")

Also, consider the matching algorithms that you might be up against. If you're looking at management, then MBA IT Management matches up a lot better than M.S. IT Network Management. You can shorten up the MBA IT Management to just MBA, without losing much meaning. If you shorten up your MS IT Network Management to MSIT or MS ... it doesn't say as much about your going through all that school work for management.

I hope this makes sense.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Thanks for that instant, I had considered doing the MBA track as well but I'm concerned that it might be too general. Do you think that the MBA paired with Cisco certs would move me towards network admin or that "track" in general?

I hear MBA and I think accountants, marketers, HR, etc. and I'm not really interested in doing general administrative stuff (nor do I have the background to back it up) - I wish I had realized this before finishing my BSBA, but what can you do? icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would be inclined to go for the Masters, and bolster that with certs and experience if you are able to do so.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    This is just my opinion. While I think we can get away with doing MS's online I feel like an MBA should be something a little more involved just by the very nature of its business collaboration orientation. Investing into an MBA is kind of a big deal.
  • Options
    Polynomial wrote: »
    This is just my opinion. While I think we can get away with doing MS's online I feel like an MBA should be something a little more involved just by the very nature of its business collaboration orientation. Investing into an MBA is kind of a big deal.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently and that is something that I've concluded as well. It seems the school you went to for your MBA (in terms of a name and networking opportunities) matters almost as much as the coursework.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unless I'm reading something wrong... why are you considering an MBA if you want to be a network admin? If you want to manage a team of people who run an IT division, sure, but to work the technical site I'm just not seeing the allure.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    An MBA has a lot of value, and there are lots of positions for MBAs. However, an MBA doesn't qualify someone to be a network administrator. If you want to "manage IT," that is another story, but an MBA isn't going to qualify you further for technical positions.

You already have an undergrad, so my recommendation would be an MS. A second undergrad in an IT field wouldn't add much value once you have that master's degree.

You may want to clarify what kind of work you really want to do. If you truly want a role specialized in networking, I am not so sure more education is your best bet.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    I think right now I'm looking to get a technical position, hopefully somewhere in the networking field. I do plan to possibly move towards management eventually (and possibly an MBA) later on in my career, after I've gotten some experience.

So right now I'm trying to move from a help desk position to something in networking, ideally something like a network admin.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Personally, I would hold off on the master's right now if I were you. I mean, if you're single with no kids, maybe there is some incentive to get started now, but otherwise I just don't see it as the next career step. Very few master's degrees are actually going to make you more attractive for a technical position, and even of those that are, your actual knowledge of networking and ability to configure, fix, manage, and understand networking equipment is the only thing that really matters.

My recommendation would have to be to focus hard on CCNA and CCNP, with further education as second priority. If you decide you don't want to do pure networking, then getting an MSIT or something of that nature might be a good career step.

If you do decide now is the time to continue on with education, definitely go for the MS. No one will care that you don't have an IT undergrad, and I doubt it will help you in the short term over your existing education.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Personally, I would hold off on the master's right now if I were you. I mean, if you're single with no kids, maybe there is some incentive to get started now, but otherwise I just don't see it as the next career step. Very few master's degrees are actually going to make you more attractive for a technical position, and even of those that are, your actual knowledge of networking and ability to configure, fix, manage, and understand networking equipment is the only thing that really matters.

My recommendation would have to be to focus hard on CCNA and CCNP, with further education as second priority. If you decide you don't want to do pure networking, then getting an MSIT or something of that nature might be a good career step.

If you do decide now is the time to continue on with education, definitely go for the MS. No one will care that you don't have an IT undergrad, and I doubt it will help you in the short term over your existing education.

Thanks for that ptilsen. From the research I've done it certainly sounds like the Master's would be a little overkill - my theory behind that whole thing is that I don't want to have a lack of a Master's hold me back from some promotion or great job opportunity later on in life. I'm still young (22) not married, without kids and still have a little bit of financial aid available so I'm thinking I do want to pick up some sort of Master's degree if only to put a check mark next to that box.

I'm certainly planning on getting some certs - it seems like this would be the easiest, cheapest and overall, best way to get into the networking field. What do you think would be necessary to get a network admin type job? I was planning CCNA and maybe Sec+ before attempting to put in applications - does that sound realistic to you?

Thanks!
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    If you think you will want to get a Masters one day the do it now while you have no other obligations (wife, kids, etc). Personally, I think since you have a business undergrad degree it would pair well with a technical Masters degree.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Going for the CCNA is a nice move.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice everybody - I really appreciate it! I just completed my ICND1 today, so halfway to that CCNA. After that I think I'll be enrolling in a Master's program - can't wait!