Options

How do stay motivated to study?

2»

Comments

• Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey QUIX0TIC, What certs and degrees do you have?
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    My Motivation: For some reason these bills just keep coming. And my wife keeps wanting. :D
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I actually **** and head up to a local mall where I sit in the Coffee shop reading certification books without paying for them. ;)
    At home you tend to get lazy or find something more entertaining to do, but at the book store in the mall I can order a drink and/or snack and sit there for hours taking notes. It's not illegal and noone cares.

If I get bored, I'll walk around the mall or play Go on one of the boards available in the shop. I did this earlier, while studying for Security+.
    I'm not currently working, so I can go study from 8AM to 3PM or later everyday.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    QUIX0TIC wrote:
    Ya... Ill agree. My whole goal is to obtain IE and then I can assure move to Thailand. Can you imagine the dollar to baht ratio in Thailand. Cant wait til I go to the Land of Smiles.

Similar idea's to me icon_smile.gif , ill be in LOS in Jan.

Ed... a brother after my own heart. Are you a regular to LOS? Are you a BTF member too? icon_wink.gif We should share notes and places to visit. I just came back from a trip 2 months ago... ahhhh the massages!!!! Plus, the fringe benefits!
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
  • Options
    Hey QUIX0TIC, What certs and degrees do you have?

Hello Filkenjitsu... sounds like a name from Naruto or something. The certs... hmmm the typical MCSE 2k with heavy on Exchange. An expired CCNA, CCNP, and CCDA. Also, Citrix and SAN certified.

Im more interested in the Cisco side mainly bc it can help me maintain a job in the Asia area. Specifically, Thailand or Singapore. Even though the pay would be less... I can still contract remotely or work for a Partner over there. Plus, I own a couple of residences in Thianland bc I have some roots there. At least thats the goal.

And then I can meet up with Ed_the_Lad when he comes to LOS!
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    QUIX0TIC wrote:
    Ten9T6... do you like only IPExpert or have you tried CCBootcamp labs also?

QUIX0TIC....sorry I missed this earlier...

No, actually, they are the only ones that I have actually delt with since I got serious about the certification...again. I did some lab time on proctorlabs.com and liked it...and their racks are set up for IPExpert..so, that is the route I picked...after listening to others, I have started checking out Internetworking Expert (Brian x 2) icon_wink.gif ...If for whatever reason November 16th does not work out for me, I will be looking at other options out there.

I am currently in a boot camp taught by Scott Morris...If you do not know who he is, do a google search. CCIE x 4...will probably have his 5th soon...and will be upgrading his JNCIP to a JNCIE soon. It is actually scarey....just when you think you are doing good and learning a lot...you meet someone that shows you you don't know as much as you think you do. All in all, it has been a great course......He has helped me realize that I have a long way to go in my 160 or so lab hours before my exam. If any of you get a chance to go to one of his classes....jump on it.

Seeing someone at that level is also motivation for me...It shows that it can be done. Actually...I can't believe I am saying something nice..considering some of the things that he has had us configure the past week. icon_wink.gif

kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    Wow... Im on the route for IPExpert bootcamps and Ill take your advice on the Scott Morris bootcamp. Ill probably over do it this time and take the CCBootcamp and labs with the IPExpert bootcamp and labs. I have the extra money now but time is always a factor.

I definitely here you when you say about a person who knows so much more than you... My short little story about me be interested in Cisco is:

Consultant comes on-site and we tell him the symptoms... he checks the cli for about 5 minutes and then he tells us that we have a bad cable or possibly pins broken on this interface. Sure enough.... broken pins. Since then... I wanted to be like him.

I just got to get my motivation back and Im happy you are on the board... it just gave me a kick in the pants to hear some other persons pov. (pov=Point of view)
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    QUIX0TIC wrote:

Ed... a brother after my own heart. Are you a regular to LOS? Are you a BTF member too? icon_wink.gif We should share notes and places to visit. I just came back from a trip 2 months ago... ahhhh the massages!!!! Plus, the fringe benefits!

I was a member of BTF until i got banned, theres afew trolls there i regularly
    exchanged words with MN and fastmover to name afew.My disagreement with their chairty was the final nail in the coffin icon_rolleyes.gif .Been to Los twice and loved it always trying to return but finally it will happen again in Jan/Feb as im quiting my job at Christmas.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Banned??? icon_eek.gif What was your screen name? Ahh.. its ok... I got banned too but I admit I messed up (even though I didnt know it). I ended up sleeping with DKs TGF. I didnt know she was mad at him... and I met her at a RT too. Very sad of me.

I will agree there are some rude guys who take that forum a bit too personal but who knows.

And not to totally stray off topic here... since we have a common brotherhood of vacation spots... can I enlist someone's help to get my lab equipment online like that other guy... but I forgot his name. Any suggestions or specific equipment I should need to stay safe? I have a 3mb DSL to my condo and Im planning to work on my lab while Im at work... just trying to find a way make it work.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wildfire is the guy you should talk to.If you check the forum for his posts i'm sure you will find what your looking for as im sure ive read a post explaining how to launch an online lab.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Thanks.. Ive been searching for the name. UTFSE is the name of the game these days. UTFSE=Use The Friendly Search Engine for the others that dont know
  • Options
    hassan001hassan001 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well.... Motivation is a key to success.... If you want yourself to keep motivated then just never read it and throw it away... Do some practice for what u learned as well... This will keep you motivated as well as experienced in many cases....

Wish u best of luck mate.....
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    5 yrs old thread... icon_neutral.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    aprillove20aprillove20 Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    to be motivated on your studies, you have to focus on what you are doing.
    you have certain rules regarding on the things you must obtain. make a healthy plan so that at the end of the day you accomplish what your doing.
  • Options
    syed20111syed20111 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would prefer to take 1-2 month gap in my Studies, non-stop studies may get you in stressful conditions. there should be option of study in favorite subjects and the subjects which we don like very much., but anyhow we have study..its depend on the person ability and interest in the subject as well.

Cv templates & Resume Examples - Resume Format
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    KGhaleon wrote: »
    I actually **** and head up to a local mall where I sit in the Coffee shop reading certification books without paying for them. ;)

One of my Sgts in the Army used to tell me "If you aint cheating you aint trying, you get caught you aint trying hard enough".

Not saying that as a support for **** but if thats the best way (cheapest way) for you to get the information you need to pass the exam then bravo.

Edit: What I meant by my cheating statement was that I do not support **** but that I agree with his "cheating" regarding sitting in the book stores coffee shop studying. I reread it after words and realized it might be misconstrued.

My motivation is to get to a CCIE, I have wanted to achieve it since I first got a hold of some Cisco gear in 2004 but I just recently got into a position that is a Full Cisco shop so I get to not only study for the cert but I can also implement what I am doing in a lab.

@JDMurray - I'm the same way. I heard once that "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity" and I defiantly believe it. I have not been the youngest in every IT job I have worked at because of good looks thats for sure.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    mintoriamintoria Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To be a successful learner, however, demands a great deal of work.Don't give up !!!!