Options

Questions Expired dates!

compfixingcompfixing Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have a question. I'm about to take my A+ exam, probably in 2 weeks.

Let's say i pass it and i'm A+ Certified, but it expires in 3 years right?

Let's say after 6 months, i pass my N+ and obtain an N+ Certification too.

My question is, in 3 years(let say 3 years and 6 months) both certifications expire the same time???

Can I maintain my A+ while i'm trying to upgrade my N+ only?

Comments

• Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    compfixing wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a question. I'm about to take my A+ exam, probably in 2 weeks.

Let's say i pass it and i'm A+ Certified, but it expires in 3 years right?

Let's say after 6 months, i pass my N+ and obtain an N+ Certification too.

My question is, in 3 years(let say 3 years and 6 months) both certifications expire the same time???

Can I maintain my A+ while i'm trying to upgrade my N+ only?

I'm honestly not 100% sure. From what I just learned on the website basically you get your A+ in May 2013. You get your Net+ in Oct 2013. In May 2016 CompTIA checks your A+ CE, sees you passed Net+ and renews for 3 years so its good until May 2016. Then in Oct your Net+ comes up to be checked, if you met CE requirements you have it until Oct 2016.

I wouldn't stress it too much. Hopefully in 3 years you will be looking at Sys Admin or Net Admin jobs that don't really care about A+!
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have your A+ today, 4/28/13 it will expire in 3 years, 4/27/16. If you pass your Network+ within those 3 years, since you would've met the requirements to renew your A+ by passing N+, your A+ renews and you have 3 years to renew your N+ AFTER your original 3 year cycle expires. From what I just found out yesterday, once you reach enough CEU's, you cannot enter anymore until your new 3 year cycle.

Example:
    A+ 4/28/13
    3 year cycle expires 4/27/16
    Pass Net+ and renews A+ 6/28/13
    New cycle starts 4/27/16
    You have 3 years to renew Net+ from 4/27/16 - 4/26/19

Hope this helps
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Great post webgeek.

Just to add a little, when you pass a higher level cert, it changes the renewal date for the lower level cert.

Pass A+ Apr 2013 expires Apr 2016

Pass Net+ May 2013 expires May 2016
    New A+ expiration date May 2016

Pass Sec+ June 2013 Expires June 2016
    New A+ expiration date June 2016
    New Net+ expiration date May 2016

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Darril wrote: »
    Great post webgeek.

Just to add a little, when you pass a higher level cert, it changes the renewal date for the lower level cert.

Hope this helps.

How come my N+ expires in May when i pass my Sec+ in June. It's not in June that my Net+ expires?
  • Options
    Darril wrote: »
    Great post webgeek.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! It helps!
  • Options
    MiikeB wrote: »
    I'm honestly not 100% sure. From what I just learned on the website basically you get your A+ in May 2013. You get your Net+ in Oct 2013. In May 2016 CompTIA checks your A+ CE, sees you passed Net+ and renews for 3 years so its good until May 2016. Then in Oct your Net+ comes up to be checked, if you met CE requirements you have it until Oct 2016.

I wouldn't stress it too much. Hopefully in 3 years you will be looking at Sys Admin or Net Admin jobs that don't really care about A+!

For some reason, i love working with computer. I wonder if Net Admin or Sys Admin jobs are working with Computer?? If not, i might not need to become one. I don't mind the income but doing something you love forever is an important decision in life.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Replacing parts on a PC requires only a little skill--many teenagers can do it--and becomes less important as PCs fall in price. As you move up, if you choose to do so, you'll tend to find yourself touching hardware less and less.

(Also keep an eye on the raging PC vs. tablet or mobile device battle.)
  • Options
    Replacing parts on a PC requires only a little skill--many teenagers can do it--and becomes less important as PCs fall in price. As you move up, if you choose to do so, you'll tend to find yourself touching hardware less and less.

(Also keep an eye on the raging PC vs. tablet or mobile device battle.)

wow! You really open my eyes. Now i think further. Can you give me some advice, like what should i do? I really love computers like fixing and stuff. My plan is to get an A+ Cert then Net+, after that i don't know what to get. I also want to open a small business like fixing PC in the garage. How should i do ?

I'm waiting to hear your words of wisdoms.