virtual pc and server

amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
Im about to start playing with win2000 server and need to setup the following

2 x 2000 servers
1 or 2 xp clients

I think this can be done using virtual pc/server

Few questions if anyone knows as its not made that clear.

do I need to use just virtual server ( this is current for a 2003 server which Im not really wanting ) or virtual pc? does this also allow you to setup other server ( 2000 ) and xp virtual machines?

I can see how to set the rest up, hardware etc, but do I take it you need to install the ACTUAL o/s into these virtual pc's? ANy advice most welcome.

HEeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllpppppppppppp

Thnaks.
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Virtual PC supports the following operating systems running in a virtual machine on Virtual PC: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP, MS-DOS®, OS/2 Warp Version 4 Fix Pack 15, OS/2 Warp Convenience Pack 1, and OS/2 Warp Convenience Pack 2. Users can also install Windows Server operating systems and numerous third-party operating systems, including Red Hat Linux, Novell NetWare, and others.
    You would install these OS's just like you would install it on a physical PC.

You can download a 45-day trial here:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/virtualpc
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I use Microsoft Virtual PC 2003 on Windows XP systems to run everything from 2000 Server to several different flavors of Linux. The virtual machines can all run concurrently on the same machine, but you need to have enough free RAM on the physical machine to support all the running virtual machines. I also recommend the physical machine have at least a 3.0GHz H/T P4 with 1MB L1 cache.

Virtual PC 2003 also comes with the MSDN subscription.