Options

help at the end of my teather, am I underpaid?

topcat007topcat007 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have ccna and Cisco wireless, been working on a help desk with same company for 3 years only get paid minimum wage. Is this too low or do I expect too much? From the UK

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In the US of A that would be dreadful wages for three years of experience and a couple CCNAs. Of course, the critical test is to post one's resume. If others are willing to pay you more, you're underpaid. If not, you're fairly compensated!
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply, the wage is really starting to affect my motivation and is depressing
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you checked the job boards in the UK?

I understand that ITJobsWatch in the UK is suppose to be a decent source - CCNA Jobs, Average Salary for CCNA Qualifications
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    topcat007 wrote: »
    starting to affect my motivation and is depressing

That's how you know it's time to move on. Rebuild your resume and start looking.

Motivation is something we all need in IT, if were not motivated to learn new things and keep up with technology we'll have bigger problems.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How long have you had the ccna + wireless? Are there no opportunities within your company? If not why have you stayed doing the same job for 3 years at minimum wage?
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    So the helpdesk is first line taking calls and logging jobs to second line? Or try to solve them before going to second line? Or is it second line type of work? If the first then you are over qualified, but depending on what part of the country might well be the going rate for the type of work.

I'd be looking for a new job.

paul78 wrote: »
    Have you checked the job boards in the UK?

I understand that ITJobsWatch in the UK is suppose to be a decent source - CCNA Jobs, Average Salary for CCNA Qualifications

To earn that wage, you will need to be an experienced CCNA working at CCNP sort of level, and in most cases working in the south east.
  • Options
    eteneten Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does your job duties include anything that cover CCNA or CCNA Wireless? If not, why should they pay you CCNA salary when you are doing helpdesk tasks? You could argue being underpaid as 'helpdesk' in comparison to market pay, but getting a certification does not entitle you to a raise if it has nothing to do with your day to day duties.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    eten wrote: »
    Does your job duties include anything that cover CCNA or CCNA Wireless? If not, why should they pay you CCNA salary when you are doing helpdesk tasks? You could argue being underpaid as 'helpdesk' in comparison to market pay, but getting a certification does not entitle you to a raise if it has nothing to do with your day to day duties.

Exactly - I mean, why would an organization want to reward a self-starting, enthusiastic, hard-working technician? No sense in trying to keep those types of employees around, right?

At my old job, we used to say it was easy to identify talent within the department - it's usually walking out the door. Sounds to me like the OP needs to do the same. I would suggest this would be a nice opportunity for the OP to practice the pay-me-more-or-i'm-leaving bit; however three years in the helpdesk is long enough - It's just time to go IMO.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    3 years and a CCNA and only minimum wage? Time to get a new job.
  • Options
    eteneten Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    YFZblu wrote: »
    Exactly - I mean, why would an organization want to reward a self-starting, enthusiastic, hard-working technician? No sense in trying to keep those types of employees around, right?

There is a difference between hardworking to improve the overall productivity of the team, and hardworking to "get out" of the job.

I've worked at helpdesk and there are some exceptional people who volunteer their own time for the better of the team (write knowledge base documents, ensure quality and accurate documentation of tickets.. etc..). Why should I pay a helpdesk guy with a CCNA more if he brings no additional value to the team?

Don't get me wrong - if there was a network position open, I would definitely recommend that individual who spends time to further improve himself. But if having a CCNA brings no advantage in his day to day work, why should he deserve a raise?
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't get me wrong - if there was a network position open, I would definitely recommend that individual who spends time to further improve himself. But if having a CCNA brings no advantage in his day to day work, why should he deserve a raise?

Where I work, senior-level and level 2/3 helpdesk employees interface with other departments and escalate to engineers during significant Incidents. Additionally, where I work finding a competent helpdesk person is like finding a bar of gold at the bottom of a trash can and we like to keep them around. Why wouldn't a helpdesk want a well-rounded, knowledgeable technician on their side to facilitate such communications?

Earlier you said getting a cert doesn't warrant more pay - Typically I'd agree to that to some extent - But when current pay is minimum wage, yes multiple CCNA's increases this person's value exponentially even without experience. Not that I have bias or anything towards having multiple CCNA's :)
  • Options
    Thanks all for getting back to me. I support a bespoke application. I was one of the top call closers last year I am 2nd line /3rd line support. My current role doesn't require ccna directly but comes in useful. I have also taken on study, another Microsoft certification.

I am committed to the company but carnt help but think I am getting a unfair deal for the work I put in.

All I want is a fair wage

further comments are appreciated
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    topcat007 wrote: »
    Thanks all for getting back to me. I support a bespoke application. I was one of the top call closers last year I am 2nd line /3rd line support. My current role doesn't require ccna directly but comes in useful. I have also taken on study, another Microsoft certification.

I am committed to the company but carnt help but think I am getting a unfair deal for the work I put in.

All I want is a fair wage

further comments are appreciated

You're doing product support which the company can't see any reason for a CCNA to be useful for you. Because of that they aren't going to pay you more because of your cert. Sounds like the best thing to do would be to search for a different job entirely.

While I understand about being committed (I have job loyalty to a fault myself) I don't think you are going to start to suddenly get paid more doing what you are doing. Three years, minimum wage, doesn't sound like the company has any plans on making better use of you.
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Man,

In my area, Tier 1 IT jobs *start* at 13 to 16 per hour.

CSR work is 11 starting / hour.

35/ hour for someone with those certs + 3-5 years of experience is typical, actually.....

The things we take for granted.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104

This! I don't want to rain on your parade but it's not going to be good for you if you have had your CCNA and CCNA-W for a long time and only working Help Desk.

By that I mean, how have you been able to expand upon or retain what knowledge you learned from studying? It's such a tough position you are in. you have got to get out of there and get your foot in the door at a company where you can start using your knowledge.

You really can'y be upset that you aren't being paid more on a Help Desk because of your certifications. They simply don't allign with each other.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?