Never Lose Faith (Job Success Story)

MDrverMDrver Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I posted a while back regarding the job I was working at (at the time). I was in a NOC in a temp role, but I felt I was not gaining any skills that could help me advance. I was pretty miserable due to the hours, the micromanaging, and overall gloomy atmosphere where I was working. I was seriously contemplating quitting my job without having any backup plan. A lot of people here explained to me that this was a big mistake, and could hurt my prospects of getting another job quickly. I stuck around, and made the best of it.

A few weeks after that, I received a feeler email for a job opening at a place far closer to where I live. Upon reading the qualifications, I felt I was way under qualified for the job. This psyched me out a lot, but I felt I had nothing to lose, and responded. I was able to land a the first interview. That led to another interview, and another, and another. Finally, I was offered a job with a 60% pay increase. I was shocked, and speechless.

I am now in charge of overall site IT where I work. This includes networking, server, support, and expansion of network capabilities. I am learning a lot, and feel as if I have purpose again. I will be able to have my BA and MA paid for by the company, and look forward to enrolling in WGU in the near future.

To all those looking for a new job or just a job in general, do not get discouraged if you think you do not meet the skills necessary for the job. I had maybe 2 of the 5 qualifications, and was still able to get the job. If you have a strong commitment to advancing yourself, and can show in the interview that you will be an asset to the job, you will be set.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome work there! Congrats!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great to read icon_thumright.gif Congratulations. Way to hang in there...
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great thread thanks for sharing always nice to see a positive thread like this.
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This. Is. Awesome!!! icon_thumright.gif Good luck on your new gig!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the new job! My first IT job was the same type of job you got where I handled desktop support, network, security, server, etc. A real JOAT position and I LOVED it. Good way to get your hands into a lot of different areas. I'm sure you'll love it.

As for your point about just applying. That's so true. I myself am the type of person who interviews well and managers seem to like me. Even if its been a situation where I don't have as much experience or knowledge as the next guy, I've usually made it to the final consideration, and have received job offers for positions. So anyone who meets some of the quals should definitely apply, you never know what might happen.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats, that's an inspiring story!
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Congrats, that's an inspiring story!

Congrats OP and I agree it's definitely inspiring.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Its always good to hear success stories. Congrats mate, well done!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Well done.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kfcdude wrote: »
    How much you on

this is the 2nd post I've seen you ask the same question. People will only give you a ball park or decide not to disclose that info.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    That's great! Congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    Congrats, I love reading these success stories, really keeps me focused and motivated to succeed. Great Job!
  • sattarsattar Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratz and thanks for sharing your story icon_smile.gif
  • RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MDrver wrote: »
    To all those looking for a new job or just a job in general, do not get discouraged if you think you do not meet the skills necessary for the job. I had maybe 2 of the 5 qualifications, and was still able to get the job. If you have a strong commitment to advancing yourself, and can show in the interview that you will be an asset to the job, you will be set.

I have also heard this from some of the most successful people I know. The grass may or may not be greener on the other side, but if you never give yourself a chance, how do you know? Most of the time they're looking for the ideal candidate when that person may not really exist or may be impossible to find.
  • TCainnnTCainnn Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have always been told that even if you don't meet the requirements to the T you can still land that position. Yeah the resume/interview has a LOT to do with landing a position so if you get a offer to come in for a interview there is your chance to grab a spot on the team!

Congrats on the job and good luck with your future success!icon_cheers.gif
    "Excuses are for the weak. Overcoming is for the strong"
  • sixtytensixtyten Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you... I needed an uplifting story to boost my morale this Monday morning. I'm also in a rut and hoping for change. How did you get that feeler email?? What type of service was it through?
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats and I love to hear stories like this.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats that's awesome!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • NoobBotNoobBot Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new job MDrver! Hopefully, things will continue to improve for you as you go along. This is definitely inspiring for new techs like myself. Again, keep up the good work!
    Computer Repair Student -- Dayton Job Corps Center
    Certification Goals -- 2013: A+, Network+
  • ThroneThrone Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Man this wonderful this gives all of us hope!! It just goes to show if you just apply you never know what will happen. THe worst they can say is no! Congrats MDrver!!!
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Congratulations. Moving up in the world.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    This story just made my day! Thank you for posting this!
  • zdxzdx Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a somewhat similar story.

I used to work at a local college computer lab for 3 years. I applied and went to countless interviews for one year thinking maybe I would have at least someone give me a chance. At times I was depressed because no one wanted me for even one/two day migration projects. I felt stuck at my dead end job where I made a little over min. wage. I had one day received a phone call from someone who was from a town that was about an hour away. He was a recruiter and asked me some questions about computers and gave me a shot at an interview which was at a local govt. Since then I've been working here and love every minute of it. The days are never slow and I am always busy with something. Double pay, govt benefits. I feel like the luckiest guy in the world sometimes. Don't lose faith.
  • 2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MDrver wrote: »
    I I was able to land a the first interview. That led to another interview, and another, and another. Finally, I was offered a job with a 60% pay increase. I was shocked, and speechless.

I had dreams that looked like this.

Congrats.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)
  • wolf187wolf187 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for sharing this story with us as it motivates us not to give up , congrats on the new gig ! wish you the best.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow man it's always good to hear such success stories like yours especially if you are young tech and taking those baby steps in the industry, its these type of stories that keep us at our feet. Thanks.