Letters of Recommendation

XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
For those with more experience, I have two closely-related questions that I would appreciate answered:

1. When you provide a LOR to a potential employer does that potential employer contact the author of the letter?

2. What is the standard procedural response by a potential employer when receiving a LOR?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Xyro wrote: »
    For those with more experience, I have two closely-related questions that I would appreciate answered:

1. When you provide a LOR to a potential employer does that potential employer contact the author of the letter?

2. What is the standard procedural response by a potential employer when receiving a LOR?

Thank you in advance.

I think a LoR implies you give them consent to contact so they can verify the authenticity.

I have never turned in a LoR and only have maybe 10% of potential employers ask to contact references. I imagine a LoR is the same. I don't think it can hurt to auto include, but I am not sure how valuable it is. Kind of like LinkedIn endorsements.

I actually think they might be a huge thing in other fields like sales, marketing and such. IT is a field where a subjects knowledge is very easy to test. A solid interview + a solid technical interview is usually a safe bet, a LoR is less needed with those two in place.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Ok, thanks Miike. This gives me somewhat of an idea about how this all works.