Studying for 70-640

Valor85Valor85 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hola,

I've been a long time lurker, and just decided to register.

Just built a new desktop and ready to begin studying and labbing for my MCSA. I got a hold of MS Press books for 70-640 and 70-642 from a friend/coworker that just left the help desk for a SysAdmin job. Should these books and my virtual lab be enough to get me through the exams? I've been in IT for 2 years. Did desktop support/jr. sysadmin tasks my last year at College and currently doing Help Desk/Desktop Support for a small corporation with about 5000+ end users. I'm familiar with FSMOs, GPOs, and have A+ and Network+ certs, so I am familiar with networking concepts.

Any advice for someone like me? I'm looking to get out of Help Desk/Desktop support and into something higher level, so I'm determined to get these certs to prove I know what I'm doing. How long did it take everyone here to prepare for these exams? I can dedicate anywhere from 10-20 hours a week for studying depending on how busy things get at work.

Any advice/encouragement greatly appreciated!

Comments

• EasyMac308EasyMac308 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm studying for 640 as well. I've been putting a ton of time into it, but run into the typical family/work/real life commitments slowing things down.

Make sure your 70-640 book is the R2 edition, otherwise you'll miss out on a bunch of stuff.
    Currently Reading: A cereal box
    BS:IT student at WGU - 81/120 CU done as of 6/2016
  • horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    I am studying the 70-640, as well. I started on September 02 , 2012. What books are you currently reading?
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I'm also studying for 70-640. Started like 2 weeks ago but have to postpone until the middle of May. I guess it will take me about a month of studying for 10-15 hours a week. I have MCSA 2003, which makes the exam easier, but there is still a lot of new information.
  • EasyMac308EasyMac308 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am studying the 70-640, as well. I started on September 02 , 2012. What books are you currently reading?

I'm going through the MS Press book.
    Currently Reading: A cereal box
    BS:IT student at WGU - 81/120 CU done as of 6/2016
  • Valor85Valor85 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone.

I actually just got started studying today. I am using the MSpress book. 70-640 Configuring Windows Server 2008 Active Directory. Got my virtual lab setup and got through Chapter 1 today. I'm planning on getting my MCSA Server 2008 by Jan 1 2014. So that gives me 7 months to study and pass 3 tests. I work a lot with AD at work so I'm hoping it won't be so hard. Hoping I can pass the 70-640 before July 4th.

If anyone needs any help just let me know. I have dreamspark since I have a valid student email address so getting my hands on Server 2008 R2 was quite easy. I also download pfSense to setup an isolated network to setup my domain on. I have a pretty nice guide to setting up an isolated test environment. If anyone is interested just let me know.

Good luck everyone!
  • PD75PD75 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A vital resource is Technet. Its free and covers virtually everything you need. Probably better that any books you can buy. Its important to lab, lab and then lab some more. It might be one thing taking notes but labbing will be invaluable.

Perhaps make some kind of timetable for each day when you can get in an hour or two study/lab time here and there. And stick to that timetable. Stay focused, stay committed and you will get the two certs in 7 months. Good luck!
  • hooky13hooky13 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sitting for my 70-640 tomorrow morning at 10:15. Its also my bday so hopefully will have a little extra mojo because of that. Feel pretty prepared though did all the labs out of the Microsoft Press book for R2. Watched the Full CBT Nuggets for 70-640 as well. Been working as a Sys Admin for the past three years so most I do a lot at work but not all. I also through my work had a membership to knowledgeNet online schooling for the MCSA 2008 stuff. It just recently ran out but have student guides and class notes if anyone is interested in the material. Let me know, I have everything backed up to my FTP server at home.
    EasyMac308 wrote: »
    I'm going through the MS Press book.

I am re-reading the cram for the exam and I signed up for trainsignal ... I hope this will pays off
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Use technet for the exam topics - it's free and pretty details.

Make sure you have R2 material, i have old 2008 books that don't cover the R2 material so i had to purchase extra books that covered that material. Make sure you are studying the most up to date material.

Also Lab, lab lab. You can get a free trial version of 2008 R2, install that on a physical box or VM if you have the ability. Also use these virtual labs - they are free and you can literally do anything you want with them (you don't have to follow their outline). So i use these labs to mess with the OS, do my own labs, etc.
    Windows Server

You can do it, i was in the same position. Working help desk (extended role, we could do stuff in AD) and got my A+, Net+, Vista (old) and 70-640 certifications all while working the help desk. I labbed and studied my arse off. It's definitely possible.

I'm not in a Network Admin position, working on getting my 70-642. Good luck to you man, you can do it just work hard. These exams are no joke, go into it thinking its more difficult than any high school exam you've taken, probably similar to a semester final in college in a mid level course (probably even harder than that imo).
    Thanks Lexleuther.

Those virtual labs will be a great way for me to get in some practice during down time at work icon_twisted.gif. Just an update. Worked through first 4 chapters of the MS press book. Got kind of bored with reading and decided to load up Trainsignal's 70-640 training vids. They are actually pretty good. Going to get through these then go through all the practice scenarios in the MS press kit and brush up on things in technet. I have set a goal for myself. To take and pass the 70-640 by July 12th. I'm probably going to register for the exam before the end of the month. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Studying also for 70-640 here.
    Mainly with the MS book (R2) and I also have access to skillsoft which I didnt liked the first chapter much.
    Im considering getting the trainsignal videos for 2nd source of studying.
    Ive heard trainsignal vids are good for this exam.

So far the first 2 chapters of the book have been pretty down to earth, although there are a lot of terms thrown at you.
    IT and their acronyms...

oh, I'm using virtual box for labs
    meh
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    Im considering getting the trainsignal videos for 2nd source of studying.
    Ive heard trainsignal vids are good for this exam.

It's ok . try it for a month $49 vs CBT nuggest in which is $99

What ever you do stay away from uCerify .. waste of valuable time and money
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I spent around 5 months studying on this exam and used the MS Press book, Sybex book, Server 2008 R2 unleashed, and technet. I also set a lab with virtual box with 2 forests and labbed through EVERYTHING. It really helps to be able to visualize all the steps for configuring and troubleshooting, for the exam.

Self Test by Kaplan was great preparation, too.
    Hi all,

Just an update. Finished the Train Signal 70-640 video series. It does a pretty good job of covering exam objectives, but feel like for many objectives it just doesn't go as in depth as the MS press book. I understand though, it they did go in depth it would be a really long series. It's definitely a good review for people with experience and great for people with no experience with Server 2008.

Now that I've watched the videos and followed along with my own virtual lab I'm going to go through all the practice labs in the MS press book and read up on sections that I felt Train Signal didn't cover very well. I'm going to sign up for the exam this week, I'll probably schedule it for the last week of June.

How is everyone else progressing?
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Focus on Certificate Services...that was really tough for me.
    Also, know well the AD default groups (Enterprise Admin, Domain Admin, etc).
  • ahphotoahphoto Member Posts: 103
    Valor85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just an update. Finished the Train Signal 70-640 video series. It does a pretty good job of covering exam objectives, but feel like for many objectives it just doesn't go as in depth as the MS press book.
    d4nz1g wrote: »
    Focus on Certificate Services...that was really tough for me.
    Also, know well the AD default groups (Enterprise Admin, Domain Admin, etc).

I second d4nz1g's suggestion to focus on AD CS. That was the hardest area for me to grasp. What really helped, is to lab lab lab. I've been preaching that over and over on the forums. Microsoft suggests real world hands on experience, which I lack, and the labs are really what helped me to overcome the AD CS obstacle.

Good luck!
    Ipsa scientia potestas est.
    Registered yesterday for the 70-640. Set to take it on June 24, 2013. The pressure in on now. At least I have Microsoft's second chance, which hopefully I won't need. icon_lol.gificon_study.gif
    How did you get the second chance in June? I thought the promotion ends in May.
    If I'm not mistaken, second shot is available until December 31, 2013 for MCSA packs. I payed up front for the 70-640, 70-642, 70-646 so my exam/second shot voucher is good until December 31st. If I had bought a single exam the voucher would of only been good until May 31, 2013.

Retake Microsoft Certification Exam for Free | Microsoft Learning
    Oh, I see now. I guess I should have done the same thing but it's too late. I already passed 70-642 and paid for 640, so buying the whole exam pack is not cost effective. I'm taking 640 tomorrow.
    Good luck with your studies!