Resume Critique..

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
Could use some advice on where to go from here. applying for various entry-level positions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gv3sy75m08d3abn/PublicResume.pdf

thanks
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    pls respond
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Sorry, pressed for time, but I did take a quick look at it. Its formatting is very difficult to read/make sense out of & very disorganized.

Header is ok, but it all goes chaotic after that. Trying to work on making it easier to read would be my first suggestion. It just looks too sloppy, no offense.
  • SolitonSoliton Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Chuck Finley? Burn Notice anyone? ;)

Xyro is right. It is difficult to read because of the clutter. I would suggest making it simple. Double line spacing is always good to have also. You still have some page left at the bottom so fill it up. Also, make sure to use only one item per line. Otherwise, the layout and information is alright.
    ~ A+ - Passed ~ CCNA - In Progress
    Your Recommended daily dose of security and privacy -> My Blog
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hmmm... I kinda liked the format. I found it easy to read. But take my comment fwiw - I don't actually see entry-level resumes so I may be a bit off.

A few quick comments:

You listed that you were recognized for excellence - was it formal recognition, it may be worth expanding. Also - I would avoid saying "and other metrics." unless you can actually clarify it.

If you were a paid Intern - you may want to work that into the description. Interns are sometimes unpaid so if you actually had a paying job, you may want to highlight - if you didn't have an actual title and you were paid - maybe just say "Helpdesk".

Don't say "Troubleshot" - I personally don't care for the word. Maybe use "Diagnosed" instead.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like the format too, but like another poster said, you lost me right after your certs. It then becomes quite cluttered and hard to read. Try the following suggestions and it should enhance readability -

- Club education and certs together. Group the Comptia certs together, they are kind of wasting space when separated. Keep the two Cisco certs separate though. Give the MCTS its own line too.

- Incorporate the Technology Summary bits into your internship experience. The summary on its own is another waste of space and instead weakens what you've actually worked on. As a hiring manager, I'd like to see what you did and how you did it your experience section, rather than in your Summary section which is usually just skimmed over or even overlooked completely.

- I realize you dont have lots of experience so include a Skills section and in there you can mention things like - Basic shell/HTML/blahblah scripting.

- Just like Paul said above, how was your customer service "excellent", do you just lay a claim to it being excellent or did management heap encomiums on you?

- Put a little more meat on the bones too, have two sentences per bullet point (dont go more than two if you can avoid, because it becomes just too long then)

A resume is all about selling yourself clearly and concisely. You want the other person to go - I want to interview this guy. You only have 30 seconds to impress the person and usually, there are no second shots.

Once again, nice format. I havent come across this one for a long time. Heck, I might even try it out on my resume tonight.

Please post a second edition too so we can see our (the reviewers in this thread!) efforts have been recognized.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The first section of your resume should be a summary of qualifications, not education. The summary of qualifications should list things that make you qualified for the position or type of position you're seeking. You can list your certifications, your degree, and your level of experience in this category.

I guess it's okay to include a Technology Summary, but don't ever say you have a basic understanding of anything. That's much too ambiguous and it seems like you either doubt yourself or think too highly of yourself. If you can design websites, say it. If not, don't mention it. But don't make the employer guess at your skill level because you won't be given the benefit of the doubt.

There's no need to list the University until you have actually earned your degree from it. By doing so, you're just wasting the reader's time. In interviews, they always ask you if you're still going to school, but they don't need to see it on a resume.

Don't ever say you provided "excellent" anything. List the rewards you received for your work. If you weren't publicly recognized for it, it's not excellent. It's like a songwriter saying 'I write excellent songs' even though none have ever made the top five hundred. It doesn't mean anything. Same thing with the phrase "above and beyond."

For the experience at Big Box, you can probably just write a short summary of your duties. If you received awards, list them.

You probably don't need two separate categories for work experience. Just one called Work Experience is probably sufficient.

Other than those things, it's pretty impressive.