Options

Freelance work on a resume

hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
I've been doing home and small business IT services on a freelance and through my company for the past 10 years along with a retail job to cover insurance and gaps in income. I've been looking at dropping the retail job and getting a IT job such as help desk or similar that help me keep current and look good on resumes for the future. The problem I'm having is how to translate that experience into meaningful entries on my resume and not look like I'm trying to lie or scam my way into a job. Has anyone else hit this problem and how have you overcome it, if you do hiring what do you look for? I have proof that I have done a variety of projects so that's not an issue.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The problem I'm having is how to translate that experience into meaningful entries on my resume and not look like I'm trying to lie or scam my way into a job. Has anyone else hit this problem and how have you overcome it, if you do hiring what do you look for?

I'd briefly describe your largest and/or most technically challenging projects. E.g., "Installed VoIP phones, desktop switches, and got WAN links up between two 60-user office buildings." Name-drop major customers where you can. That would go a long way towards separating you from someone who fixed a computer or printer for Frank and Joe here and there.
    hoktauri wrote: »
    along with a retail job to cover insurance and gaps in income.

I'd be most likely to buy this line if you emphasized your retail job were only part-time and have a title indicating you're paid better than average. If your IT job was a hobby and earned extra beer money, that's okay too, as long as you present it accurately.

If your retail job offers IT services, be prepared to address questions about conflict of interest. In many states, typical employment contracts would require you to notify or get approval from your employer before moonlighting.
  • Options
    hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    I don't have that sort of documentation (customers but not large projects) for large parts of my freelance time, should I just leave that time off or call it something else to make it look better? I don't want to mislead anyone but also want to show I have a good chunk of experience.

Another question for after I "legitimized" my business, what proof is good for that? I do have a verifiable range of service orders, a real website that's updated daily, facebook and twitter accounts (administered through HootSuite) and I will be submitting a company app to Google Play next week.

Thanks.

Edit: Left out that I work 30 hours a week at Family Dollar, no conflict and a good way to meet customers.