Options

OSI MODEL

vicbersongvicbersong Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guyz. i'm just startig the N+ and finding the OSI model a little bit hard to understand. Can someone pls give me clue as 2 understading the OSI model i details cos i knw its the basics of understanding computer networks. Hoping to hear from u soon CHAo

Comments

• Options
    gabilangabilan Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OSI MODEL IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR THE NET + EXAM. THE STUDY NOTES OF THIS SITE WILL GIVE YOU THE FOUNDATION TO UNDERSTAND IT. YOU TO KNOW IT VERY WELL BECAUSE THIS WILL HELP YOU A LOT IN THE TROUBLESHOOTING ANALISYS.
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    An easy way to remember the OSI model Layers are:

All
    People
    Seem
    To
    Need
    Data
    Processing

===============
    Application
    Presentaion
    Session
    Transport
    Network
    Data link
    Physical
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My advice would be to "learn" the model and understand it, not just memorize it. A good way to start is by making a list of all types of devices, protocols, etc. Then make yourself 7 columns (one for each layer of the model). Place these devices, protocols, etc in the appropriate column. And make sure you read and understand why each item goes under which layer. For example, what layer does SNMP belong to? And why? A repeater works on what layer? What layer does a router work on? This is a long way of getting there but it is solid, and not only that, it will prove priceless to you in the future when you start troubleshooting connectivity issues. Many people struggle with networking because they never fully understand the OSI model.
  • Options
    netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    Visit www.learntosubnet.com

It has video and good explanation, on there about OSI model icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I agree 110% of how keatrons method. Understanding the layers by associating them with devices and applications help me understand the OSI layers. Name at least 10 things associated with each layer.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Almost anything in networking can be placed in the OSI model. Understanding it will make understanding other networking concepts easier and will help you understand where they fit overall.

Many people will say something like "This protocol operates at layer 3" and by saying that they do not have to say everything it does because you understand what something at layer 3 does. It makes everything much simpler and puts networking concepts nicely into components.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Listen to keatron....the man just got his cissp so he knows what he's talking about.

Great job on the pass keatron!!!
  • Options
    bones0145bones0145 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    one acronym i was able to remember a little better was
    All
    Presidents
    Send
    Troops
    Near
    Deaths
    Path

i'm takeing net+ on the nov 7th