CCNA in 60 days does it work?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just finished university classes and hope to spend my summer studying for CCNA an Security+ I have from May until around September. I found Paul Browning's CCNA in 60 days eBook on Amazon and wanted to use that TBA videos and Todd Lammle book on top of packet tracer and 2 2950 and 2 2501 routers. Is it possible to do CCNA in 60 days using his book and If anyone has, insight? Am I cramming too much in this summer or is this a good goal to set? I'm motivated but am I putting 10lbs of potatoes into a 5lb sack?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sure you could pass CCNA in 60 days. The real question to ask yourself though is can you really learn everything and fully understand it in 60 days? That is much more important in the long run.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Like networker said you could do it but than what? It will get you an interview, yes but there will also be a technical interview. If the material doesn't sink in and you don't understand it nobody cares what you have. Simply passing for the sake of getting a cert is not the most beneficial strategy. IMO, the most important thing is to learn what is on that cert. Maybe you should take your time, this is usually not the the kind of stuff you want to rush.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    Just try it and see how you go. I did mine in 3 months (12 weeks of after hours lessons, 8 hours a week) back in the day and had no trouble absorbing it, but I was already in a hands on role (not likely to get lucky like that in this outsourced day and age I'm afraid!). If you feel you're not ready after 60 days then whats the rush, keep studying/labbing and take the exam when you're ready.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It seems to me that the CCNA in 60 days book is more for IT admins working full time with years of experience and use this book to get the cert quickly to get a promotion etc. My reason for doing this is because I got a free voucher for the exam and don't want it to go to waste (not giving it away sorry) if I can take the current exam before it changes and give myself a shot, why not. I want to at least see what I can get done not rushing before September and use the voucher before it expires you never know unless you try.
  • jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sure you could pass CCNA in 60 days. The real question to ask yourself though is can you really learn everything and fully understand it in 60 days? That is much more important in the long run.

This is the approach I'm taking. I was originally planning on taking in May, and I'm sure I could, but I've been moving at a slower pace and spending a lot of time on each topic so I can absorb and actually understand everything. I've found myself going back to certain concepts (whole chapters) multiple times after I thought I had them down, but later realized there were small bits of important info I had missed. Take your time, don't rush it!
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I really don't want to comment on Paul Browning. I can only say that you should look at other training material with a view to absorbing and understanding as much as you can rather than just doing enough to pass the exam. I was able to pass my CCNA using Chris Bryant, Boson Ex Sim Max exams,CBT Nuggets and Aaron's Router Alley CCNA guide(free). I also did several labs using Packet Tracer. However had I known Rene Mollenaar had GNS3vault I'd have certainly used those resources as well. These resources are excellent and go a bit beyond what you need for the CCNA which is a good thing as you end up with a very good understanding.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends on how much of a networking background you have. It would probably be very difficult to go from literally ZERO to CCNA in 60 days. But, if you already have a firm grasp on the basics such as the OSI Model, TCP/IP, Network Devices and their Behavior/Effect on the network, and MOST IMPORTANTLY SUBNETTING, then 60 days is definitely doable. I went through the Cisco Network Academy back in 2001 while working on my AAS degree in Networking. After I graduated, I never touched the Cisco CLI (IOS) again until this year. I had forgotten everything except "en" and "config t", but had retained most of the concepts (I didn't remember STP or VTP). I was able to finish both books in a few hours a week over two months.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's possible even without background.
    But you need to study for 12 hours every day.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I did it in 90 and I didn't study 12 hours a day. It really depends on how fast you pick up on the material and how well you lab the technologies once you understand them.
  • DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The average person, I think it would be tough. But, someone like Dr. Sheldon Cooper could do it and understand it. It really depends on the person and 50 other variables.
    Totally off topic, but I do like your screen name "DB Cooper". Can I have your autograph please?
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    Did you do any Cisco Academy classes?
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've noted before I earned my first CCNA within a couple weeks. I did this after a phone interview with my first employer but before the in-person interview, and my drive and newfound knowledge did impress them. If you're willing to put in two hours per day and study/lab the right things I suspect most people should be able to pass it. From that point onwards, I had plenty of hands-on practice on Cisco IOS devices available to me to reinforce and help me retain those concepts.
    It seems to me that the CCNA in 60 days book is more for IT admins working full time with years of experience
    For someone with years of experience in networking, the CCNA is something you spend a weekend to a week on. That's because the concepts and questions are largely practical. I've seen it done that way many times.
  • DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MrXpert wrote: »
    Totally off topic, but I do like your screen name "DB Cooper". Can I have your autograph please?

I'm hanging with Bigfoot in the Pacific Northwest mountain range, if you can find us I'll be happy to autograph a $20 for you. : )
    DB Cooper wrote: »
    I'm hanging with Bigfoot in the Pacific Northwest mountain range, if you can find us I'll be happy to autograph a $20 for you. : )

haha! given the amount of unspent notes you STILL have, $20 seems like pocket change to you!:)