Options

Summer (May 20) 2013 Stanly CC vSphere 5 ICM Class Thread

Comments

• Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    CyrilMtl wrote: »
    From Stanly Bookstore, the price double with the shipping to Canada...

That's an understatement, Cyril. The bookset costs USD $42.35, to which was added $16.70 for shipping to California. However, I didn't see it as a negative. With the cost of the class much less expensve than elsewhere, does it really matter what the books cost? Besides, the price of books at any college or community college is unbelievable these days. Best to rent them if you can. Otherwise buy a $100-$200 book and sell it back to the book store when the class is over.

What remains unanswered is whether the book set is mandatory. The contents appear to be PowerPoint slides with accompanying notes. Perhaps the same study material available online.icon_silent.gif

The books were mailed on 5/2 and arrived on 5/9 (California).
  • Options
    xordisxordis Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah my books cost $60 to Wisconsin, and then I had to have them sent over to Australia. (probably added $20 to the shipping cost for me)
    End of the day I know I have the right books for the course and wont have any issues completing them.
    Either way I would be getting it done soon as you only have 10 days till the course starts.
  • Options
    Have you received login info or anything yet? I didn't receive which class I was actually in, although I didn't ask. I just was notified I'm officially registered for May 20th after I paid for registration.

Yes I have my login to webadvisor. I sort of requested it as I was struggling to find a fax machine round here that would let me send internationally, so the person I was dealing with sent me my login and I was able to pay online.
    As long as you have registered you will receive your login to the course.
    There is nothing to do in there until they release the course on the 20th. (some state law that they have to wait)
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    ITMonkey wrote: »
    If anyone has found yet other good learning material, I'll give you a banana in exchange for your input.

I looked at the MVS book and the Official VCP5 book. Actually both are on my safari bookshelf. I think for certification purposes, the Official VCP5 book is tops because it follows the blueprint. There isnt really any fluff and it reads pretty mechanical (this is what we want to do, this is how we do it). In terms of actual real world stuff, the MVS book is excellent. I especially like the networking section (giving tips on configuring the neigboring Cisco devices).

So I am using VCP5 for official study but if I had to purchase a hardcopy, i'd get the MVS.
  • Options
    FireFireFireFire Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the good wishes. When did you e-mail nick initially to be added to the wait list?nhuneycutt2262@stanly.edu
    I can't remember the date but sometime in Apr.update: the first email I sent to Nick was on Apr 5.Thanks
  • Options
    lordmorgothlordmorgoth Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've also enrolled in the 5/20 course. According to Jana Kennedy (Eagle’s One Stop Mentor) we should receive the login information about a week prior to the start of the class...icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    HiIf any of you have received the book, would you please confirm this is the book you got?The Official VCP5 Certification Guide: Amazon.ca: Bill Ferguson: Books Thanks.
  • Options
    descender421descender421 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My book hasn't shipped yet. Ordered it last Wednesday. Hoping it ships today to have even a chance of getting here by the 20th.

Edit: Just contacted book store. Didn't realize they had quite a few on back order and a decent amount of others registered for May 20th are also waiting. They said to contact the instructor if we hadn't received the book by the start date and they will work with us regarding this.
  • Options
    CyrilMtlCyrilMtl Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    xordis wrote: »
    Cyril, Why not look at the colleges in your local area that offer the course and get the books from the.
    You are looking for the following code.

VAP-ENG-VSICM5-SK

I believe the books are only available via VMware through a VMware education partner, but all universities/colleges doing the course will have access to the books.

It's impossible to find, it seems to be able to order it from Gilmore directly, but I need a vmware registration number ...
    I don't know if Stanly can give it to us ?

VAP-ENG-VSICM5-SK is for vsphere 5.0, I don't know id the class has been upgrade to 5.1 ?
  • Options
    revbillygrevbillyg Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i jsut bought the book. little late but the stanley site says to get the gilmore book..
    • TITLE:VMWARE VSPHERE 5.0: INSTALL,CONFIGURE,MANAGE
    • AUTHOR:GILMORE
    • EDITION:N/A
    • COPYRIGHT YEAR:XX
    • PUBLISHER:GILM
    • ISBN:9789970046461
    • NEW:$42.35
    • USED:$0.00
    I am registered for the class beginning 5/20 good luck to everyone.

also, as of today I still dont have my class login info.
  • Options
    VAP-ENG-VSICM5-SG-EThat's the only one I can find in Canada. No idea if that's the same book as VAP-ENG-VSICM5-SK or not.
  • Options
    FireFire wrote: »
    HiIf any of you have received the book, would you please confirm this is the book you got?The Official VCP5 Certification Guide: Amazon.ca: Bill Ferguson: Books Thanks.

That isn't the book I purchased from the college bookstore via their web site, @FireFire. The class dsscription points you to this set of 3 green books http://www.bkstr.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/booklookServlet?sect-1=201&bookstore_id-1=70606&term_id-1=2013CE2&div-1=&dept-1=CAS&course-1=300039

By the way ... check your email, guys. This morning I received a letter from the college telling me how to login to the class website (called Moodle ... cute!). The letter says I'm in Nick Huneycutt's class. :D
  • Options
    I received login information but can't actually log in. The email states to log in on the first day of the course though on the 20th. Hoping this is the same for everyone else.
  • Options
    just received my login also.
  • Options
    That isn't the book I purchased from the college bookstore via their web site, @FireFire. The class dsscription points you to this set of 3 green books http://www.bkstr.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/booklookServlet?sect-1=201&bookstore_id-1=70606&term_id-1=2013CE2&div-1=&dept-1=CAS&course-1=300039

By the way ... check your email, guys. This morning I received a letter from the college telling me how to login to the class website (called Moodle ... cute!). The letter says I'm in Nick Huneycutt's class. :D

might check this out on amazon. not sure if its same but good chance it is..
    VMware vSphere" Install, Configure, Manage Student Manual-Volume 1 ESXi 5.0 and vCenter Server 5.0 (Volume 1): vmware Education Services: Amazon.com: Books
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    just fyi guys i'm trying hardcore to get this out of the way as I have quite a few certs to study for. icon_study.gif

According to this guy we can take the VCP without taking the class however we will not be awarded VCP5 until we finish the class. I already have another voucher so I am planning on knocking this out ASAP using just the official guide. I mention this for those just want to jump in ASAP. Don't take the test without a voucher though!

I already have around 3+ years of ESX experience + a decent lab so it should be interesting.

Edit: Also I just received my login.
  • Options
    I received login information but can't actually log in. The email states to log in on the first day of the course though on the 20th. Hoping this is the same for everyone else.

I've also received the login info but can't login yet, although my problem seems different:

"Your Moodle account does not exist or is missing critical information. Please contact the Stanly Community College help desk for assistance. "
  • Options
    I've also received the login info but can't login yet, although my problem seems different:

"Your Moodle account does not exist or is missing critical information. Please contact the Stanly Community College help desk for assistance. "

Same message I'm receiving. I'm guessing that will resolve on Monday then.
  • Options

Thanks dude. I contact GILMORE this morning and get the ebook. They told me VAP-ENG-VSICM5-SG is the e-version and SK is the print version. I am going to give it a try.

BTW, I am in Jeff's class. Got my login email this afternoon and got the same error message when I try to login.

Any one interested by creating a Linkedin Group and join up together?
  • Options
    jalu6jalu6 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Got my books in late last week and the login email today. I'm all set!
  • Options
    Got my login email this morning as well.
    Don't panic if you can't log in, if you read the other thread you can't login till the day the course starts (state requirement)

If you want to login and reset your password etc, go here

https://webadvisor.stanly.edu/WebAdvisor/WebAdvisor and click log in down the bottom.
    It should work a few hours after you got your email (I believe it's a manual process to create your account so maybe tomorrow)
  • Options

Cool!

I hereby appoint you as the linkedin group-creator icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Stanly VMWare Study Group | LinkedIn

You are welcome to join the group....
  • Options
    Request is sent.
  • Options
    Thanks dude. I contact GILMORE this morning and get the ebook. They told me VAP-ENG-VSICM5-SG is the e-version and SK is the print version. I am going to give it a try.

BTW, I am in Jeff's class. Got my login email this afternoon and got the same error message when I try to login.

FireFire, where were you able to get that book/ebook in canada ?
  • Options
    CyrilMtl wrote: »
    FireFire, where were you able to get that book/ebook in canada ?

Can't send pm to you.
  • Options
    I adjusted my profile, can you try again ? or on Linkedin ?
  • Options
    Never mind, just sent a message to u through linkedin.
  • Options
    malibubtsmalibubts Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sent a request for the LinkedIn group as well.
  • Options