Options

CCNP LAB - Missing Anything?

paq7512paq7512 Member Posts: 102 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have put together a lab and have purchased items below:

3 x 1841 Routers v05 IOS 15
2 x Cisco 2950 Series 24 Port Switch, WS-C2950-24
2 x Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series 24 Port Switch, WS-C3550-24-EMI

My questions is am I missing anything? What else would I need? I want to be able to do all labs in the CCNP lab book and others online.

Someone suggested a frame-relay router, if so which one? Do I need it, or do I have what I need already.

I have not purchased any WICs yet. Please advise. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd get more than three routers. It's going to be difficult to lab up complex routing scenarios with just three.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    paq7512 wrote: »
    I have put together a lab and have purchased items below:

3 x 1841 Routers v05 IOS 15
    2 x Cisco 2950 Series 24 Port Switch, WS-C2950-24
    2 x Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series 24 Port Switch, WS-C3550-24-EMI

My questions is am I missing anything? What else would I need? I want to be able to do all labs in the CCNP lab book and others online.

Someone suggested a frame-relay router, if so which one? Do I need it, or do I have what I need already.

I have not purchased any WICs yet. Please advise. Thanks for your time.

I think you have what you need, someone else can chime in on the FR router situation. Get your WIC-2T's in your 1841's and you should be good to go.

Also, more never hurts. I was thinking of adding a few more pieces to my rack just to create and lab bigger setups. Also, GNS3 is a good idea for ROUTE
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Okay sounds good, how many routers then?
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Routers are expensive. You already have three. You could go up to 5 or 6, and you'd be able to practice scenarios with BGP confederations, and/or OSPF virtual-links, but even if I did have the money, I'd just use dynamips or IOU, as it boots up faster.. It would also save on your electricity bill.

Of course, the disclaimer is that real equipment, if you can afford it, is always best.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You need five routers and four switches to implement the TSHOOT topology, and that's about right for the rest as well. Given that you can do this for free with IOS and emulated hardware, there's no excuse for sub-par practice. :)

(If you don't mind the delays of real hardware, you're only two routers away!)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree with the others to just go dynamips. Much cheaper and you have a few routers already if you really want to touch the hardware for some reason. When I did the CCNP and CCIP I was regularly doing 10+ router labs to play with everything in single scenarios.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    True, but depending on OP's exposure to real gear in their day job, it can be highly beneficial to get used to working on and patching up real gear.
    I've seen more than one GNS3 hotshot fall to pieces in the field because they just could not cope with the extra complexity of real hardware and having to worry about where cables are actually going.
    Of course if OP is going to sit in a NOC as a remote guy then that point is moot.

I too enjoy my stupid complex GNS time... being able to lab a prod topology 1:1 (in R terms at least) is priceless
  • Options
    Okay sounds good guys thanks for all the info. I actually just got another router, so four now, my boss has paid for all the gear (salary terms for learning) So I guess I will get one more, I do need a terminal server I suppose, ideas? I would like to buy the Skeletek rack 16u too, but they are out of stock.

I do like the idea of GNS3 and have watched the series on CBTNuggets and have used it in the past, but prefer to connect to a real device and see there own idiosyncrasies.

I will buy some 2T-WICs for Frame-Relay.

And some books you all would recommend? I am reading Chris Bryant CCNP route and love it. I also bought the Rene one that was recommended here, but have only read a dozen pages. What do you think about labs, just go with the main Cisco official books?
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do need a terminal server I suppose, ideas?
    Digi CM32 Console Terminal Server 32 Ports 50000838 005 | eBay
    I would like to buy the Skeletek rack 16u too, but they are out of stock.
    Dantrak Net  - New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    And some books you all would recommend? I am reading Chris Bryant CCNP route and love it. I also bought the Rene one that was recommended here, but have only read a dozen pages.

Chris Bryant is recommended. I used him, also. The main thing is knowing how the technologies work. If you're somewhat comfortable, you could just read Cisco documentation and lab to clear this exam. But, if just getting into it, the Foundation Learning Guide (FLG) is always recommended.
    What do you think about labs, just go with the main Cisco official books?

The Cisco Lab Manual will get you what you need. Don't be afraid to lab up more complex scenarios, though, so you can make sure you really understand things. If you're going through Bryant's book, I advise labbing up everything you see in his book. Then, when you're reading through the FLG and going through the Lab Manual, it should be like a review. Go through the Lab Manual as many times as necessary, to make things stick. Re-read the FLG, try to lab it out, and then post in forums (like this one) if you get stuck on a topic that is not making sense (books can have typos).

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    WOW, great responses and help, thank you all that contributed to this thread.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    if you really want to touch the hardware for some reason
    That's what she said. Oh wait. icon_lol.gif