Any CCNA aspirants in/around San Antonio short on lab equipment?

instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
Anyone in San Antonio working at getting their CCNA lab going, but ... struggling to amass the equipment?

I have an equipment giveaway going on. Some good (2811 router) Some nice (3550 switch) Some OK (1721 router) and some a little meh (2500 router), plus interfaces and cables. All of the equipment is functional.

Caveats:
1 - You must receive ALL the equipment (no partial acceptance).
2 - You have to pick up the equipment, no delivery (this is a lot easier for someone local).

How to enter: (yes, this is based on INE's Scholarship idea)
The basics of it is that you make a posting in this thread to enter the sweepstakes.
Answer questions such as:
Why do you want to earn CCNA certification?
What strengths would you bring to the field as CCNA?
Where did you start in networking, and where are you now?
What circumstances have kept you from obtaining equipment?

Contest closes for entries on 5/10/2013, with winner announced by 5/15/2013.

Mods: If this is inappropriate, please move/delete this thread, as necessary.
Currently Working: CCIE R&S
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Seriously, no one in the San Antonio area wants free network equipment?

I thought it'd be more appropriate to try to help someone coming up, rather than selling it.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • twill713twill713 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not in San Antonia but if you are interested in selling I'm in need equipment for my CCNA, have been using GSN and Packet Tracer but I really want some hands on.
  • pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think everyone would love this equipment, but there isn't anyone in San Antonio on this board. I'd love it, but am in Wisconsin.
  • HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am in SA and would love to take it off your hands
  • HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My application:
    Because being a recent grad without real network experience, CCNA gives me a solid foundation to build on so that I won't be that guy! but more importantly, a competent Network Engineer.
    What strengths would you bring to the field as CCNA? Quick study, Enthusiasm, Confidence and Empathy("what is it like" for instance to lose data..I know I have).
    Where did you start in networking, and where are you now? I am at Entry-Level as of right now and working on securing a NOC position and hoping CCNA will help me achieve that goal.
    What circumstances have kept you from obtaining equipment? Funds - not enough funds especially with irregular opportunities I have been getting that is not in Networking(which is where I want to be).
  • DoctorYikesDoctorYikes Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in San Antonio -- BUT missed the deadline by not checking the board often enough. (Working full time and going to class full time. Don't have time for board checkin! *laugh*)

In the interest of demographics, I'll fill out the information anyway.

Same reason as most, it's a solid entry-level base for a Networking/Security career. I recently changed my major just because I've been enjoying the programming classes more, but still thinking about grabbing the CCENT at least. Entry-level programming jobs sound even more difficult to come by -- and demonstration of some networking fundamentals never hurts.

What strengths would you bring to the field as CCNA?
    I'm making a career transition from intensive care respiratory therapy. While that doesn't bring any direct technical knowledge that's relevant, it definitely provides some experience in high-pressure performance with no tolerance for error, time management, solid performance autonomously. Plenty of 'good employee under high stress' skills demonstrated, even though the particular skillset is different.

Where did you start in networking, and where are you now?

I'm still in the medical field, with another year to go until graduation. Working quite a bit with Java, moving into web programming almost exclusively for the next few semesters. So, I'm really nowhere near networking at the moment.

What circumstances have kept you from obtaining equipment?

We just purchased a new house, and were in a transitional phase before that. Since then, we're still figuring out where everything is going to go.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Good evening.

HailHogWash is the winner!

DoctorSykes:

I would recommend that you try the HealthCare IT angle, and you could probably more easily work your programming angle that way. There's tons of hospitals and what not in this area, so HealthCare IT would be a "makes sense" transition that you could make, so that you would be able to put your sector knowledge to good use.