Options

CCNP ROUTE Lab Equipment

zachkenemerzachkenemer Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this site, but after scouring the internet, i figured this is a good place to ask a question and get some input. Thanks in advance for any advice and/or help.

My question is what routers are the best overall pick to get for a CCNP ROUTE lab, excluding GNS3?

I have decided to go with hardware because I know how I learn and I think it will benefit me greatly to have that "hands on" approach. I spent about 2 years in the Cisco Networking Academy for CCNA and CCNA Security, which I obtained both between August and October of 2012. I really like the Academy approach, plus you don't have to buy the equipment, per say. My college doesn't offer the CCNP courses, so I am taking it upon myself to study and pass this!

After reading and gathering information, my best guess for hardware, considering my budget:

4x 2621XM w/ WIC-2T (256/48, 12.4(19), Adv Ent, or 12.4T Adv Ent)
4x 2950 Switches

I have decided not to buy a terminal server, to save costs.. after all, i might spoil myself (fighting my impulses with nonsense). I also am borrowing these 2950's for free so I'm really only down about 75-100 per router plus WIC's, RAM and Flash upgrades, cables. I have the FLG, CCNP Lab Workbook, Subscription to ITU Online w/ Groupon, and CBT Nuggets.

Any recommendations beyond this for ROUTE? What about training materials?

Thanks!

In case anyone is wondering, I work full-time as a Network Technician (not much cisco work) and finishing my BAS on the side, and trying to cisco in between.

Certs: CCNA, CCNA Security, A+

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Those routers will be fine for CCNP Route however you will need two L3 switches for CCNP Switch. Consider getting a pair of 3550s.