Options

How to best prepare for CISM exam?

ajohnajohn Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I've registered for the June CISM exam. Following advice on this forum, I've decided to shell out the money for the official review manual and Q&A database. The database is a great tool, but the review manual is very, very dry reading. It's well structured, but I it's really tough to read from cover to cover. Did anyone try a CBT such as CBTnuggets? If so, was it worth the money and did it help in preparing for the exam? Are there any good study notes or summaries of the CISM material? Anyone else here registered for the June CISM exam?

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hi and welcome to TE.

I was very satisfied with just the ISACA materials. I didn't use the Q&A database since at the time, it didn't exist. I believe ther is also a Q&A Review Guide from ISACA which I used instead.

But if you mean the experience qualifications, the exam is fairly straight-forward. And the review manual does cover all the topics - although quite dry.

Good luck on the exam in June.
  • Options
    ajohnajohn Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Paul. I have many years of IT experience, but only just meet the strict professional requirements as set by ISACA.

At the moment I score around 60% on the practice questions (hardly studied yet), so I have plenty of work to do. Back to the the review manual!
  • Options
    I'm sure you will do fine. The toughest part of any ISACA exam is waiting for the results. And as you are reading the review manual don't forget the warning label on the back about operating heavy machinary as reading - icon_lol.gif - those manuals are drier than the desert.
  • Options
    Bloodnite12Bloodnite12 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the review manuals are very hard to read... great content packed into it but geez.
  • Options
    NatKunNatKun Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Paul, I am thinking about the CISM on this Sept. I am not sure for one month preparation. Do you have any suggestion or some materials (I am reading the Review Manual 2013 and Practice DB V13)? Is it enough to pass the written exam? For my Experience is mainly on the Project Management, Business Analyst, the network and system infra design. Is it suitable to take CISM and/or CISA? Thank you.
  • Options
    @NatKun - I am less familiar with the CISA but when I reviewed the materials, it looked fairly straight-forward. If you have info security management background, the CISM is very straight-forward. I am not familiar with any other materials other than the ISACA materials. The ISACA materials cover everything that you must know for the exam.

BTW - based on your description of your work experience, I am inclined to believe that you may not qualify for the actual ISACA designations. But you can certainly take the exams if you have an interest in the topics.
  • Options
    NatKunNatKun Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dear Paul, Thank you so much for your valuable suggestion. I think I will try to take CISM Exam this September.